UNMC ID Celebrates ID Pharmacist Day

The third annual Infectious Diseases (ID) Pharmacists Day is today, Monday, May 22, 2023. This day recognizes the importance of ID pharmacists and the contributions they make to patient care. Here at UNMC ID, we are lucky to have a team of highly talented and dedicated ID pharmacists working to help patients and fight infectious diseases every day. In celebration of this day, read on below for a quick introduction to some of our fantastic ID pharmacists.

Bryan Alexander, PharmD, BCIDP, BCPS, AAHIVP

Clinical Pharmacist and Pharmacy Program Coordinator for Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy

Brief Biography: After having been raised in the suburbs outside Cleveland, my training and professional life have taken me to stops living in Chicago, Baltimore, Saint Louis, central Virginia, and now Omaha. My family is now happily settled here – my wife is a university professor and we have two elementary-age children.

I love being an ID Pharmacist because the profession is so wide-ranging in scope and impact, and pharmacotherapy remains central to the range of countermeasures that we employ. Also, infectious disease attracts the most collaborative, brilliant, and compassionate people, such that the teams I get to work with and the problems we work on are constantly edifying.

I love being an ID Pharmacist because ID is so complex and interesting; there is always a new problem to solve or a drug regimen to optimize to try to ensure the best care for patients. I work with the absolute best people who make my job so much fun.

Brief Biography: Grew up in rural Nebraska and attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Go Huskers!) for undergrad prior to obtaining my PharmD from the University of Nebraska Medical Center. I then completed my PGY1 pharmacy residency and PGY2 ID pharmacy residency at Nebraska Medicine prior to accepting my current position.

Molly Miller, PharmD, BCIDP

Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner practicing in Infectious Diseases, Antimicrobial Stewardship, and Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy

Jeremy Tigh, PharmD

Infectious Diseases/Antimicrobial Stewardship Outreach Pharmacist.

Brief Biography: I am from a small town in Northern Nevada originally and went to undergrad and pharmacy school in Utah, where I graduated in 2020. I then came to NMC for residency, and stayed on for my career! 

I love being an ID Pharmacist because… Too many reasons to just pick one. For starters, I love the impactful work that I get to do day in and day out. Making a positive impact on patients’ lives and public health is very rewarding and fulfilling. This area of medicine also appeals to my natural curiosity and need for life-long learning as the field is rapidly evolving with new drugs, pathogens, emerging infections, and evolving resistance patterns.

I love being an ID Pharmacist because it keeps me on my toes! There is always something new to learn and new ways to solve problems. The ID group at Nebraska Medicine is extraordinarily collaborative and knowledgeable and I am lucky to be able to work with them on a daily basis.

Brief Biography: I was born and raised in Omaha, received my PharmD from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in 2012, and started at Nebraska Medicine Bellevue. I became the Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist at Nebraska Medicine Bellevue in 2017.

Daniel Schroeder, PharmD, BCPS

Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner and Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist at Nebraska Medicine Bellevue and Nebraska Antimicrobial Stewardship Assessment and Promotion Program

Jenna Pruesker, PharmD, BCPS

Nebraska Antimicrobial Stewardship Assessment and Promotion Program Pharmacy Coordinator at Nebraska Medicine and Nebraska DHHS Pharmacist

Brief Biography: Doctor of Pharmacy; University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Pharmacy 2013, PGY1. Residency: CHI Health Saint Elizabeth, Lincoln, Nebraska.

Before joining Nebraska Medicine in 2022, I spent 9 years at Faith Regional Health Services in Norfolk, Nebraska as the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Director. 

I love being an ID Pharmacist because it involves so much critical thinking and problem-solving. My work is primarily outreach to rural, resource-limited settings, so helping facilities solve antibiotic-related problems challenges me to think outside the box every day. 

I love being an ID Pharmacist because the field is constantly evolving which provides plenty of challenging clinical situations to work through and endless research opportunities.  

Brief Biography: I graduated from the University of Nebraska College of Pharmacy in 2007 and joined the HIV/Infectious Diseases group in 2015 and the Department of Pharmacy Practice in 2019. As a pharmacy clinician at the Specialty Care Center, I provide care for people living with HIV including antiretroviral therapy initiation and revision as well as various other management services together with primary care services.

Josh Havens, PharmD, BCPS

Specialty Care Center, HIV Program

Shawna Sunagawa, PharmD

PGY2 ID Resident

Brief Biography: I am originally from Hawaii but completed my undergrad and pharmacy degree at Creighton University, #RollJays! I matched for PGY1 residency at Nebraska Medicine and was fortunate enough to stay on for a PGY2 ID!

I love being an ID Pharmacist because of the interprofessional nature of the field! Not only am I working with phenomenal ID providers, pharmacists, microbiologists, and other healthcare professionals but I also get to “work with” some pretty cool bugs/drugs!

Brief Biography: I currently work as the Antimicrobial Stewardship Coordinator for Nebraska Medicine and as a Clinical Professor at the Department of Pharmacy Practice at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. I am also the Program Director for the PGY2 Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency and conduct research in infectious diseases pharmacotherapy. My group’s current project is optimizing anti-infective use inside and outside of hospitals.

Scott Bergman, PharmD, FCCP, FIDSA, BCIDP

Pharmacist Coordinator, Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) – Nebraska Medicine