CDC has designated November 18-22, 2019 as US Antibiotic Awareness Week! We are joining the CDC and many organizations around the world recognizing and promoting awareness for appropriate antibiotic use.
During #AntibioticAwarenessWeek, collaborative blog posts from UNMC ID/ASP and Nebraska ASAP will be published between November 18 and 22.
Check out these videos supporting the Antibiotic Awareness Week message, from our UNMC ID archives!
- Dr. Jasmine Marcelin (UNMC ID specialist and Associate Medical Director of Antimicrobial Stewardship) and her General ID consult team sharing their reasons to #BeAntibioticsAware
- Dr. Catherine Liu (ID specialist and visiting Grand Rounds speaker from University of Washington) sharing antimicrobial stewardship initiatives in immunocompromised patients
- Dr. Trevor Van Schooneveld (UNMC ID specialist and Medical Director of Antimicrobial Stewardship) sharing his top reasons for choosing antimicrobial stewardship as a career (video courtesy Infectious Diseases Society of America)
- Dr. David Khan (Allergy specialist and visiting Grand Rounds speaker from UT Southwestern) sharing how to deal with antibiotic allergies (which impact antimicrobial stewardship)
- Dr. Jasmine Marcelin (UNMC ID specialist and Associate Medical Director of Antimicrobial Stewardship) sharing why antimicrobial stewardship is important (video courtesy Infectious Diseases Society of America)
The CDC has suggested a list of activities and an informative toolkit to promote appropriate antibiotic use which include:
- Highlight US Antibiotic Awareness Week on your website
- Use Antibiotic Awareness Week to kickoff your stewardship program
- Distribute tools and guidelines to employees, healthcare professionals, and the general public
- Post social media messages and participate in the global Twitter Storm on Monday November 18 between 9:00-10:00 AM EST using the hashtag #USAAW19
- Share information with your organization’s membership through email or newsletters
We at UNMC ID/ASP and Nebraska ASAP and are excited about the upcoming Antibiotic Awareness Week during November 18-22. We hope you and your facility will fully participate in activities promoting appropriate antibiotic use. Get more information about UNMC ASP and Nebraska ASAP