Deadline: November 30, 2015
CB Reads is a strategic initiative, created by the Iowa West Foundation (IWF) and United Way of the Midlands (UWM) and located at FAMILY, Inc., to engage the Council Bluffs community and greater Pottawattamie County in a collective effort to reduce income-based literacy achievement gaps among children, ages birth – eight. Our vision is a coordinated community-wide approach to achieving grade-level reading. This initiative will focus on the children who are most at risk, living in households with incomes below 200% of the federal poverty level.
Strategies for the CB Reads initiative include:
- Aligning the collaborative early childhood education/early literacy/grade level reading efforts of community partners and school systems within Pottawattamie County, Iowa
- Strengthening the capacity of early care and education providers for at-risk children to improve literacy proficiency
- Educating the community on the importance of and the steps that need to be taken to achieve grade-level reading
The Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for CB Reads’ administration, programs, expansion and execution of its mission. The Director is expected to establish, promote and maintain relationships with funders, government agencies, nonprofits, school districts, the business community, and the community at large, while seeking opportunities to strengthen and expand the reach and impact of the program. This position will develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations and business plans. The Director is a newly-created position designed to address a community need. The position is fully funded for the next three years.
The Director will be committed to the mission of CB Reads. This is a senior level position. All candidates must have proven leadership, strategic planning, communications, and significant relationship management experience. Required qualifications include:
- Prior nonprofit executive leadership experience preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to bring together disparate groups/organizations around a common vision and strategy;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, judgment, negotiation and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making;
- Excellent relationship building skills with an ability to communicate, facilitate, and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- The presence to inspire confidence and passion in external audiences and engage and build effective relationships with a range of community stakeholders;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills with demonstrated success as an effective spokesperson;
- Proven financial accountability/financial management responsibility;
- Demonstrated ability to create, manage and lead an advisory board or board of directors; and,
- Bachelor’s degree; Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in a start-up environment;
- Familiarity with Council Bluffs and / or early childhood literacy.
View the full job description, and instructions for applying in the document below.
Job Description_Director CB Reads_Final