Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services is a state agency that “Helps People Live Better Lives” every day to improve the quality of life for all Nebraskans and their families. Who We Are: DHHS Central Operations and Materiel Services (COMS), a recently reorganized unit within DHHS’ Operations Divisions, is looking for a team player that is interested in contributing to the DHHS mission as a part of an accountable, ethical, transparent, and cohesive unit to serve as our Safety/Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordinator.
Location of position: Lincoln, NE State Office Building, 5th Level
Work schedule: M-F, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm , some weekends and evenings, travel is expected
Examples of Work
As a DHHS Safety/Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordinator you will play an essential role in execution of DHHS operations. This position will help to lead the agency towards efficiency as it relates to areas within assigned unit. This position will provide leadership and help guide DHHS towards improved emergency preparedness and response. You will:
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and administrator the safety/emergency preparedness and response plans and programs
- Establish policies and procedures to comply with State and Federal laws and regulatory agency requirements
- Ensure each DHHS building has an Emergency Action Plan, conducts annual fire/severe weather drills, and provide on-site training when needed
- Be responsible for development of individualized COOP plans for each DHHS building
- Will establish safety committees at each DHHS building, which allows an opportunity for building staff to address issues, which can be significant in nature
- Conduct safety assessments
- Serve as the DHHS Operations liaison with the Federal and State Emergency Management Agencies to develop and implement operational plans for responding to external or internal emergencies/disasters
- Oversee building security for all DHHS buildings to include management of the badge access control systems, security consultation, working with Nebraska State Patrol, and conducting security assessments and development/ execution of all action plans
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, safety/industrial engineering or a related field with experience in facilitative leadership, program planning, meeting facilitation and consulting in the areas of emergency/disaster preparedness and response
- Three years of experience with responsibility for emergency preparedness, disaster response or safety program coordination.
- Knowledge of safety requirements within buildings as it relates to emergency/disaster planning Experience planning and conducting annual fire/severe weather drills
- Experience providing training and group facilitation
- Documented experience and training related to the development of individualized COOP plans Documented experience and training conducting security risk assessments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: Knowledge of: Knowledge of: safety issues, current developments and trends and plans relating to emergency/disaster preparedness and response, State and Federal safety laws, rules and regulations, facilitation techniques and program management.
Ability to: communicate in person, and by telephone, computer, email, and correspondence to exchange information and ideas and to promote agency needs, plans, and objectives; interpret program-administrative requirements, policies, regulations, and other guidelines; interact with immediate supervisor and managers/employees of the employing agency, other governmental and organization representatives, and the public, to gain their cooperation and establish work relationships; conduct research activities and summarize technical data and conclusions into reports; study problem areas, analyze relevant data, and formulate alternative courses of action; interpret and apply directives and instructions pertinent to assigned work; apply management practices, theories, techniques and methodologies; learn the goals, policies, and operations of the employing agency related to assigned work; learn the inter-relationships and communication channels among agency organizational units and operations and the groups served.
View the job description and apply online here.