Union Pacific is looking for interested students who would like to work as a year-round intern in the Industrial Hygiene and Safety Engineering group in Omaha, Nebraska starting as soon as possible. This position offers the ability to review, discuss and understand data on employee exposures to noise and chemicals in the complex UPRR work environments. In addition this position will provide an opportunity for the intern to improve current IT and business processes, and become involved in developing and generating performance measures. Union Pacific will accommodate the interns work schedule to fit their school schedule (within reason); and the intern will be expected to work sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The successful applicant will be expected to work between 15-20 hours a week.
This internship is an introduction to the fields of Industrial Hygiene and/or Safety Engineering with minimal field travel to UPRR shops or yards outside of the immediate Omaha and Council Bluffs, IA area.
- Participate in a team environment with Industrial Hygienists (IH) and Safety Engineer professionals to review field data and load the data into the current IH information system, trouble-shoot and correct system problems, and work with consultants and assist as required.
- Assist with improving access to and making changes to a human factors / job and task database.
- Interview internal customers and other Safety staff
- Scan and enter Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Database management, including working with Access Databases and Oracle BI.
- Lead records management efforts, adhering to legal and company standards for the Industrial Hygiene and Safety Engineering group.
- College credits equivalent to three years towards an undergraduate degree while currently enrolled in a college program working toward a Bachelors Degree in Environmental Science, Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics or Biology or related Safety fields
- 1 year(s) experience in computer applications with knowledge in additional system skills SQL Server
- Intermediate Microsoft Suite skills with Microsoft Access and Excel
NOTE: this position was previously held by an EAOH student, who thoroughly enjoyed the work and has since been hired/promoted within UP.
View the full description and apply online here.