University of Nebraska Medical Center

International Guide

Welcome to UNMC! Please see the International Visitor Handbook and the Diversity Resource Guide for all important information regarding your transition to Omaha.

Financial Resources *from UNMC Office of Graduate Studies

Proof of Financial Support

International students who wish to gain an F-1 or J-1 visa must be able to provide evidence of financial support for the first year of study. This is only necessary after you are successfully recommended for admission and if you’re providing some or all of the funding amount.

This process is needed because SEVIS only allows UNMC to create your I-20 form after we receive evidence showing you will be sufficiently covered financially. You then need the I-20 for your visa interview itself.

If receiving a Graduate Assistantship that covers the cost of the first year, you aren’t required to submit additional evidence.

Costs and Sources

The estimated cost for the first year of graduate studies currently stands at $32,300. This covers the following:

  • Non-resident tuition
  • Living expenses (Estimated at $14,000)
  • Mandatory fees
  • Mandatory student insurance
  • Miscellaneous costs, such as books and supplies

Funding typically comes from graduate assistantships, scholarships from the student’s home country, family, or the student.

Providing proof involves documentation, such as an official letter from the scholarship’s institution that indicates the amount being offered in US dollars. It should also state if the support will cover health insurance provided by the home country or if it will cover UNMC’s student health insurance. Personal and family sources can provide bank statements or affidavits of support indicating how much is being provided for the student.


Immigration and Visas *from UNMC Office of Graduate Studies

Getting a Visa

After being successfully admitted, you will receive an admissions email containing the contact information for your UNMC International Student Advisor.

  • The advisor will contact you with information about requirements for getting an I-20
    • The I-20 will be sent through FedEx to the address you give your advisor.
  • After I-20 is issued, you’ll pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
  • Arrange a visa interview with your local U.S. Embassy.
    • Bring I-20, I-901 receipt, and other admission documents to your interview.

Education USA provides more resources, information, and advice about obtaining a student visa.

Please Note

  1. Having an I-20 does not guarantee the issuance of an F-1 visa.
  2. Process of changing visa status inside the U.S. can take 3-5 months.

If you are already in the United States with a different visa status, you may be eligible to change your visa without leaving the country. For more information or to find out if you qualify, contact UNMC’s International Advisor.

If you already have an F-1 visa and are studying or have graduated within the last five months at a United States school, notify Graduate Studies. SEVIS requires you to request the school to release your record to UNMC. After the release date, UNMC can process a new I-20 form. Contact UNMC’s International Advisor for more information.

Maintaining Your Immigration Status

International students with F-1 or J-1 visas must remain enrolled full-time during the academic year to keep legal immigration status. This means taking at least 9 credit hours per semester for the fall and spring terms.

  • Summer enrollment may be optional depending on when you begin or complete your program. While a summer term may not be required to keep your international student status, it may still be required by the program itself.
  • If you plan to enroll for less than full-time during the fall or spring semesters, you must speak to the International Student Advisor and your Program Specialist for Graduate Studies before reducing your hours.




  1. Mrs. Leena's Panchariya says:

    i am a Diploma in pharmacy student of Pune University Maharastra India with first class. in the year 1984 I am having work experience of 20 years in my own pharmacy shop in India, so now i want do pharma D course to serve better to my community so pl tell me can i get enroll to your pharma D course and what will be the procedure and what will be cost of living with your tuition fee for total course. Best regards, Mrs. Leena.

    1. Heather Talbott says:

      Mrs. Leena,

      You can find more information about our Pharm.D. program on their website: http://www.unmc.edu/pharmacy/programs/pharmd/index.html. You can also contact the College of Pharmacy Dean’s Office at 402-559-4333 or via email at copadmin@unmc.edu.

      I hope this helps!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

nf Sy xqeYl jlgvUyF PjA qYwuQ