College of Allied Health Professions

Student Spotlight: McKenna Flint

“As students, it’s easy to become hyper-focused on the end goal –get the degree and graduate! But from past experience, I can confidently say that UNMC will prepare us to provide a gold standard of care to our patients.” - McKenna Flint

by Abbey Kegley

McKenna Flint is an allied health student in the Physician Assistant (PA) program. Raised in North Platte, she previously graduated from UNMC with a bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science. She says she was steered toward allied health after being diagnosed with appendicitis by a PA.

“My time in the laboratory provided me with a solid foundation of knowledge and healthcare experience to prepare me for PA school. I chose to enter the masters of physician assistant [studies] program to increase my patient interactions and explore medicine further.”

McKenna and Abbie Rohr on the slopes.

McKenna enjoys knitting, skiing, watching movies, and spending time with her husband, and says the best place to study is at home with a cat in her lap. Her inspiration is her Aunt Linda.

“She is poised, compassionate, and has taught me to plan ahead in life.”

Andrew Flint and McKenna after the white coat ceremony.

Her favorite part of the program thus far is learning about different disease states and pathogens, and she knows through her academic experience that at the end of her program she will be ready to take on patients as a Physician Assistant.

“I chose to continue my education at UNMC because the high quality of education provided truly prepares students for the healthcare field.”

For more Allied Health Student Spotlights, or to learn more about our various programs, visit UNMC’s Allied Health Professions website, blog, and social media: Facebook and Twitter.