Welcome new faculty: Stacy Smallfield

Stacy Smallfield, DrOT, MSOT, OTR/L, BCG, FAOTA, recently joined our occupational therapy faculty. Here’s more about Dr. Smallfield in her own words:

“I am thrilled to be joining the Division of Occupational Therapy Education at UNMC! I am excited to bring my previous experience in OT and academia to this new endeavor and look forward to working with faculty and students as we begin this journey.

After earning my master’s degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1996, I worked as an occupational therapist in several adult physical rehabilitation and gerontology settings until joining the faculty at the University of South Dakota in 2003. While there, I taught course content in adult physical rehabilitation, evidence-based practice, occupational therapy theory, among others. I earned my post professional doctoral degree from Nova Southeastern University in 2007. I collaborate with AOTA on a number of systematic reviews and practice guidelines on topics including older adults with low vision, home modifications, Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders, and productive aging. In 2016, I joined the Program in Occupational Therapy at Washington University in St. Louis as an associate professor and assistant director of the entry level professional programs. I am actively involved professionally, serving as president of the South Dakota Occupational Therapy Association (2010-2012), the editor of the Gerontology Special Interest Section Quarterly (2013-2016), and as a member of the Roster of Accreditation Evaluators for the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (2014-present). I was named to the Roster of Fellows of the American Occupational Therapy Association in 2015.

I am originally from rural Minnesota. I am married and have three teenage children; I enjoy running and other sports, spending time outside, reading, and being with family. I look forward to getting to know the UNMC community and the greater Omaha area!”