College of Allied Health Professions

PT2 serves in the Nebraska Army National Guard

John Lysinger, PT2 serving in the Nebraska Army National Guard

John Lysinger is a second-year student in the Division of Physical Therapy Education and a member of the Nebraska Army National Guard. John was activated in April for the COVID-19 response.

John’s unit activated to support the Nebraska Accommodation Project. The National Guardsmen staffed UNO residence halls, which were made available free of charge to people who may have been exposed to the Coronavirus and needed a safe place to quarantine, particularly those who couldn’t quarantine or isolate at home because they had vulnerable loved ones.

John states, “I joined the National Guard because I wanted to be in a position to help when bad things happened, so I was proud to serve in this way. We provided a safe place for people to quarantine by providing medical care, food, and a 24-hour presence for anything else they might need.

“Keeping up with school was difficult during this time; however, my unit leadership as well as faculty and fellow students were all great about understanding my dual commitments. I was able to study during slower times, and my classmates were always available to catch me up on things I might have missed. This allowed me to successfully finish the summer semester and serve the state of Nebraska during this difficult time. I’m proud to be able to do my small part, and I pray for all of those affected.”

Assistant professor and associate director Sara Bills, PT, DPT, GCS said, “We are so thankful for John’s service, and he is a really amazing representative of our college and university.”