Dr. Claudia Moore begins addiction medicine fellowship

Claudia Moore, MD, has worked in emergency medicine for twenty years, and it was two decades in the ER that pushed her to apply for the UNMC addiction medicine fellowship.

In July, Dr. Moore became the second addiction medicine fellow. From 2006-2020, she worked at Nebraska Medicine in emergency medicine. From 2013-2019, she was the Program Director for the Emergency Medicine Residency Program.

“I’ve had a lot of experience seeing people with substance use disorders in the ER. When I learned that the fellowship was being developed, I became immediately interested,” said Dr. Moore. “It seemed a natural pivot for my career – using everything I’ve learned through my emergency medicine and medical toxicology training to care for patients in a new way.” 

Before arriving in Omaha in 2006, Dr. Moore worked in hospitals and clinics in Atlanta, New Orleans, and Memphis.

“No matter what city, substance use was a factor in a tremendous number of cases. I’ve seen what happens in acute intoxication or withdrawal, and now I can see what happens after the emergency is over,” said Dr. Moore.

The addiction medicine fellowship lasts one year. Knowing 12 months can fly by quickly, Dr. Moore has tried to hit the ground running.

“I know I only have 12 short months to learn a new specialty, so I’m trying to cram as much learning into every experience as possible. My previous roles have included a lot of medical students and resident education; I now get to use all the lessons I’ve learned about what allows a learner to be successful and apply it to my own education,” she said.

Dr. Moore graduated from Emory University in 1996 with a degree in Art History and Biology. She attended the University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Memphis in 2000 and finished her residency at LSU Health Science Center in New Orleans in 2004. She completed a fellowship in Medical Toxicology at Emory/CDC/George Poison Center in 2006.

Sharing is caring!