DigitalCommons@UNMC is an online repository of the research, scholarly communications, and archival materials produced or owned by members of the University of Nebraska Medical Center community. Based on the principle of open access, DigitalCommons@UNMC seeks to make these materials available to a worldwide audience by tagging, storing, and organizing them in a searchable database. Content types can vary widely by discipline, but the goal of storing all content is the same: To provide a common opportunity for presenting internally and globally what is being accomplished at UNMC.
Examples of Content Include but are not limited to:
- Working papers
- Published articles when copyright and/or license allow
- Course materials, online course modules developed by UNMC Faculty
- Supplemental Materials to Published Articles
- Conference Materials: Posters, Presentations
- UNMC Sponsored Event Materials
- Annual reports and newsletters
- UNMC documents
- Archival Collections
Institutional repositories serve as a showcase of the scholarly output of universities. This centralized collection is available to a wide audience including potential students and faculty, university partners and funding agencies, and other academic colleagues. Research indicates that articles are cited earlier and more often if they are available in an open access repository, such as DigitalCommons@UNMC.
- Increased visibility for your academic works: Search engine optimization with Google Scholar and other search engines means your work is recognized as scholarly in nature, making your work highly discoverable.
- Increase the longevity of your scholarship without increasing your workload: DigitalCommons@UNMC digitally archives your work with unique, persistent URLs, even after a faculty member leaves UNMC.
- Centralized scholarship: Both previously published and unpublished works are collected on one site, complementing existing print and electronic publishing channels in your field while providing immediate access to your work. Supporting documents can be uploaded to provide context to your research.
- Real impact: Monthly download reports allow immediate feedback on your work. The Author Dashboard feature lets you track how readers are finding your work as well as real-time full-text download statistics.
- Institutional recognition: Your work is included in the full range of research and scholarship conducted at UNMC.
- Contribute to the open access movement: DigitalCommons@UNMC provides the global community barrier and cost-free access to your important research.
- Publicize: Easily share your work with colleagues and students through the “Tell a Colleague” link and RSS feeds.
To contribute your work, contact email@example.com