Musings on Mentorship

By Amy Thimm, BSN’91, RN

Mentorship is something I’ve always believed in. From college on, we were told to find a mentor and develop a relationship, and I’ve always done that. Even without a formal mentor, you can still find one silently. A silent mentor is someone who may not know that they are mentoring you, but you are watching and learning from them. Seeing how they conduct a meeting, how they greet people, or how they answer the phone. You are learning from their professional skills and are growing in your own. I have had people come up to me and say, “You don’t know this, but I’ve watched you for a long time.” It turned out that I was a silent mentor to them, and they had the confidence to tell me.  

Advice to Mentors and Mentees

My advice for mentors is to be present. Be available when your mentee needs you for a phone call. It’s like raising your own child; you are building a relationship and it takes time to grow someone. When speaking to your mentee, speak with integrity and build trust that your conversations will stay between the two of you.

If you are looking for a mentor, find someone that you look up to and trust. Personally, I have always believed in mentorship because sometimes it’s impossible to do things on your own. When you come across barriers, obstacles and naysayers, you’ll remember that you have a mentor to confide in. 

Become or Find a Mentor

As a UNMC alumnus or student, you can become or find a mentor in our online community UNMC Alumni Connections. Whether you’re looking for a long-term connection or would just like to have one-time meetings, check out the community to make personal and professional connections.