Mentoring and the Importance of Having One

Five reasons you need a mentor:

1. Mentors have experience and knowledge. Benjamin Franklin said, “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” Having someone to learn from and advise you will provide a wealth of knowledge that might otherwise take years to learn on your own–bottom line, shorten your learning curve with experience from a mentor.

2. Mentors offer constructive criticism. Sometimes others can see more clearly our areas of weakness than we can ourselves.  Be coachable and open to hearing feedback from your mentor, whether positive or not.  Don’t be afraid to ask for honest advice or criticism. Practice your skills as a good listener, take what you can use to make you better and leave the rest.  We sometimes have to be broken down in order to be built stronger.

3. Mentors given us inspiration and encouragement. We all need cheerleaders and a good mentor will be that person to encourage you and to help you realize your potential within.

4. Mentors provide connections. A mentor can provide opportunities in your field that you might otherwise not have access to.  Mentors invest in you and allow you networking opportunities to help fuel your career goals.

5. Mentors are advisors. Having a trusted advisor allows you to be comfortable enough to ask questions and push boundaries. It is vital to have someone that can act as a sounding board for your ideas, strategies, and dreams.  Be honest and expect honesty in return.

– Jill Selzle PA ‘05

1 comment