Welcome new faculty: Yvonne Golightly, PhD

Yvonne Golightly, PT, MS, PhD, recently joined the College of Allied Health Professions as Professor and Assistant Dean for Research. Here’s more about Dr. Golightly in her own words:

I am excited to join the UNMC College of Allied Health Professions and to partner with the UNMC community to advance our research. I am an epidemiologist and a physical therapist focused on chronic disease prevention. I am particularly interested in osteoarthritis and associated comorbid conditions including obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes, physical activity, chronic musculoskeletal pain, musculoskeletal injury, physical rehabilitation, biomechanics, health equity, and rural health.

Prior to joining UNMC, I was an Associate Professor of Epidemiology at the University of North Carolina with appointments in the Division of Physical Therapy, Department of Orthopaedics, Injury Prevention Research Center, and Thurston Arthritis Research Center. I am co-Principal Investigator of two large studies of rural health and health disparities in Johnston County, North Carolina: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project and the Johnston County Health Study.

Although I am not originally from Nebraska, I have strong ties with our great state. My ancestors purchased farmland in central Nebraska in the 1880s that my family continues to farm. My mother grew up on this farm, and most of our family lives around the Kearney area. I enjoy visiting with my Nebraska family, riding horses, riding in the combine, and watching the beautiful sunsets.

1 comment

1. Jed Droge says:

Congratulations!