QokTu Lure

New Orthopedic PT Residency Program Begins

by Megan Frazee, DPT

The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) College of Allied Health Professions recently launched an Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency program this year. The initial cohort of residents, Renee Herbers, DPT, and Caleb Nabower, DPT, started on August 2, 2021.

This residency is a 13-month, post-professional training program that includes clinical practice and clinical mentoring at Nebraska Medicine’s Lauritzen Outpatient Center, observation with physicians and other rehab providers, teaching in the area of orthopedics, and opportunities for research and scholarly activity. It was granted candidacy status by the accrediting body, ABPTRFE, and is on track for initial accreditation upon graduation of this initial cohort in August 2022.

Division of Physical Therapy Education faculty members, Megan Frazee, DPT, and Mike Wellsandt, DPT, are serving as the Residency Program Director and Residency Program Coordinator, respectively. Additional Division of Physical Therapy faculty members and Nebraska Medicine clinicians will serve as residency faculty members.

Both residents in the initial cohort are graduates of UNMC’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.

When asked why they chose to participate in UNMC’s Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency program, Dr. Herbers said “…because I wanted to further develop my skills and knowledge in orthopedic physical therapy. I also have an interest at teaching at some point in my career, so I saw the opportunities to be a lab TA and guest lecturer as a great chance to see if that’s something I really want to do.”

Dr. Nabower shared, “What initially attracted me was the opportunity to improve my skills as an orthopedic physical therapist, while being able to give back to the community that invested in me over the past three years. Combined with already knowing the UNMC staff, facilities, and culture behind the program, I knew it was too good of an opportunity to pass.”

After just a few weeks, Dr. Nabower spoke to his initial impressions of the program: “As cliché as it may sound, my expectations have been blown away! Every day presents itself with new challenges, but behind each challenge has been an incredible support network that is helping me grow more than I ever could’ve expected.”

For more information, please visit the Orthopedic PT Residency website.