The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is inviting Grand Challenges Explorations (GCE) proposals for the following three challenges (application deadline is May 2, 2018):
- Innovations in Immunization Data Management, Use, and Improved Process Efficiency
- Affordable, Accessible, and Appealing: The Next Generation of Nutrition (also see the blog)
- Tools and Technologies for Broad-Scale Disease Surveillance of Crop Plants in Low-Income Countries
GCE grants have already been awarded to more than 1300 researchers in more than 65 countries. Initial grants are for USD $100,000 and successful projects are eligible to receive follow-on funding of up to USD $1 million. Proposals are solicited twice a year for an expanding set of global health and development challenges. Applications are only two pages, and no preliminary data is required. Applicants can be at any experience level; in any discipline; and from any type of organization, including colleges and universities, government laboratories, research institutions, non-profit organizations and for-profit companies.
Grand Challenges grant opportunities
- Grand Challenges India: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 25, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Explorations – Brazil: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 28, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Africa: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 16, 2018.
- Grand Challenges South Africa: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 16, 2018.
- Grand Challenges: Campylobacter spp. Transmission Dynamics in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Explorations – Brazil: Data Science Approaches to Improve Maternal and Child Health in Brazil. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Misk Grand Challenges: Activating Global Citizenship: Building the Next Generation of Global Citizens for the Global Goals. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Misk Grand Challenges: Reinventing Teaching and School Leadership: Preparing the Youth with the 21st Century Skills Needed for a Knowledge Economy. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
Additional global funder grant opportunities
- The African Academy of Sciences (AAS), the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are partnering under the auspices of the Coalition of African Research & Innovation (CARI) to establish a post-doctoral training fellowship program, the African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI). Training will be at the intramural laboratories of NIH. Application deadline is May 11, 2018.
- The Templeton World Charity Foundation announces Round 1 of its new Global Innovations for Character Development initiative. Application deadline is June 15, 2018.
Blog series on innovation: Trevor Mundel, the Gates Foundation’s President of Global Health, recently published three new blogs in his series on innovation: one on metabolic markers for gestational age assessment, one on surveying nutrient levels in breastmilk, and one on new technology to assess intestinal health in babies.
We look forward to receiving innovative ideas from around the world on the open grant opportunities listed above. If you have a great idea, please apply. If you know someone else who has a great idea, please forward this message. And we invite you to explore an interactive world map of ideas funded to date across the global Grand Challenges network.
Thank you for your commitment to solving the world’s greatest health and development challenges.
The Grand Challenges Team
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives.
Visit our site