By Jess King
The McGoogan Library of Medicine invites you to be on the lookout this week for our social media posts on Facebook and Twitter as we proudly acknowledge National Library Week 2020. In these stressful times our library wants you to know that we are still here to support you in your educational, research and clinical endeavors. This week we will use our social media channels to celebrate National Library Week virtually and present pictures of our librarians as they work from home surrounded by kids, pets and funny hats!
Every year during National Library Week, libraries around the nation promote their libraries and celebrate the contributions of libraries and the staff and faculty that work in them. The theme for this year was supposed to be “Find your place at the library” however, due to COVID-19 and social distancing measures, this has been flipped to “Find the library at your place.” We want to remind you that while you may not be able to meet with us in person, you can still gain access to the library and our services from home. This global pandemic has forced us to physically distance ourselves from each other, but those of us here at McGoogan remain as committed as ever to serving you and will continue to do so virtually.
We may not be able to be within 6 feet of each other, but make no mistake, we’re still here for you!
On October 29th from 12-1 pm, the library will host pet therapy in the Sorrell Center Student Commons area. Volunteers from Paws for Friendship, a local pet therapy organization, will bring dogs to help students and others de-stress. Join us on the 2nd floor of Sorrell Center to visit with some pups.
Come say farewell to the old McGoogan Library spaces on May 3, 12 noon – 1 pm on the 6th floor of Wittson Hall. Share your sentiments with us during a wall-signing, see the vision for the future and enjoy some cake! Cake will be served at 12 noon, first come, first served.
Can’t make it to this event? Our memory wall will be available April 22 – May 5. Add your favorite memory or just your name to our wall. Before renovation begins, we will be photographing the wall to preserve these memories in our archives.
To help students relax while finishing out the semester, the McGoogan Library of Medicine will host relaxation breaks the weeks of April 22nd and 29th. All are welcome.
- Memory Wall: The library will be closing for renovation and we invite the UNMC community to stop by the library and add a favorite memory or just your name to our wall. Before renovation begins, we will be photographing the wall to preserve these memories in our archives.
- Pet therapy: Volunteers from Midlands Pet Therapy, a local pet therapy organization, will bring dogs to the library to help students and others de-stress, on the sixth floor of Wittson Hall on Tuesday, April 23rd, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Healthy snack break: Grab a healthy snack in the Linder Lounge located on the sixth floor of the library. Snacks will be available (while supplies last) starting at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, April 24th.
- Wellness Corner: For additional relaxation, don’t forget to spend time in the library’s Wellness Corner, located on the northwest side of the sixth floor.
- Extended hours: The library will have extended hours during final exam week:
- Sunday, April 28: 1-10 p.m.
- Monday, April 29 through Thursday, May 2nd: 7:30 a.m.-midnight
The library will be closed for renovation beginning on May 6th.