The library will be open extended hours, 7:30 a.m. to midnight, each day from April 30-May 3.
Read the April issue of Source, the McGoogan Library’s quarterly electronic newsletter. This issue includes stories on the upcoming library renovation, our partnership with Children’s Hospital & Medical Center, the Davis History of Medicine lecture, systematic reviews, and wellness in the library.
To subscribe, visit this page.
By Cindy Schmidt
If you have ever searched PubMed for the details of the range of a healthy human organ’s functions or some other aspect of normal human function, you have probably experienced some frustration. Articles about unhealthy variations in function seen in diseased organs usually far outnumber articles about normal organ function.
The good news is that EMBASE, one of the literature databases licensed by McGoogan Library, indexes the “normal human” concept making searches for “normal” easy. Give it a try:
Go to the Library’s homepage http://www.unmc.edu/library
Click on the “Literature Databases” button (right side of the page).
Click the “EMBASE” link.
Click on the “EMTREE” link.
Search for – health human – or – normal human.
Click on the heading that appears.
When the heading’s tree appears, look to the right to find and click the “Take this query to Advanced Search” button.
Add your additional search terms to the query and hit the “Search” button.
To help students relax while finishing out the semester, the McGoogan Library of Medicine will host relaxation breaks during the weeks of April 23 and 30. All are welcome.
Pet therapy: Volunteers from Paws for Friendship, a local pet therapy organization, will bring dogs to the library to help students and others de-stress, on the sixth floor of Wittson Hall on Tuesday, April 24, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Healthy snack break: Grab a healthy snack in the Linder Lounge located on the sixth floor of the library. Snacks will be available (while supplies last) starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, May 1.
Relax with animals: Enjoy calming views of puppies and kittens livestreaming on a monitor in the library’s sixth floor lobby area.
Wellness Corner and the Reflection Room: For additional relaxation, don’t forget to spend time in the library’s Reflection Room located on the eighth floor, or the Wellness Corner, located on the northwest side of the sixth floor. Massage chairs are located in both areas.
Extended hours: The library will be open extended hours – 7:30 a.m. to midnight — each day from April 30-May 3.
By John Schleicher
In 1887, John Latenser, Sr. (1858-1936), set up an architectural practice in Omaha. His practice spanned more than 50 years, with commissions for many of the city’s larger civic and commercial building projects, including the Douglas County Courthouse, Scottish Rite Masonic Temple, Brandeis Department Store, and Central, North and South High Schools. For several decades Latenser was the primary architect for the University of Nebraska College of Medicine (later UNMC). Latenser may have envisioned this concept plan (see image) for the medical campus as early as 1915, with this rendering of the plan dated 1921.
Charles Poynter, M.D. (College of Medicine Dean 1930-46) wrote, “The 1911 Legislature provided $100,000 for a college building . . . finished in the fall of 1913, the school was set up in the new building. In the original campus plan, provision was made for a 500 bed teaching hospital consisting of five units. In 1915, $l50,000 was appropriated for the first unit. John Latenser & Sons were engaged to draw the plans and have since been in charge of all campus building.”
In 1919, Irving Cutter, M.D. (College of Medicine Dean 1915-25) wrote, “With the construction of the South Lab Building (Bennett Hall) and the Central Power Plant, the total cost of buildings on the medical campus will exceed a half million dollars. The South Lab Building . . . in general architecture, is an exact duplicate of the North Lab Building (Poynter Hall).”
Latenser’s campus plan was never completed as envisioned. Conkling Hall (first permanent College of Nursing building) was completed in 1923 and a second unit of the hospital opened in 1927. Appropriations for and construction of other buildings in the plan never happened because of the poor farm economy of the 1920s and the great depression of the 1930s.