Dr. Pat Hageman’s research is related to sodium reduction in a diet. She provided the following information to help you slash sodium! Here’s how to decipher those food labels:
- “Sodium free” or “Salt free”: Contains less than 5 milligrams of sodium per serving.
- “Unsalted” or “No salt added”: No salt has been added.
- “Very low in sodium”: Provides 35 milligrams of sodium (or less) per serving.
- “Low in sodium” or “Contains a small amount of sodium”: Contains 140 milligrams of sodium (or less) per serving.
- “Reduced sodium” or “Less sodium”: Provides at least 25 percent less sodium than the traditional product.