Psychiatry residents and addiction fellow settle in at UNMC

There are some new faces in the Department of Psychiatry. On June 30, four residents and one addiction fellow started their training at UNMC.

This month, UNMC welcomed new residents Dr. Michaelyn Everhart, Dr. Matthew Kelly, Dr. Andi Ngo and Dr. Emily Royer. Dr. Ngo, who is also a trained pharmacist, attended the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine while Dr. Everhart attended the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Both Dr. Kelly and Dr. Royer are graduates of UNMC. Dr. Claudia Moore has started a one-year addiction fellowship after working as an emergency medicine physician for the last 14 years at Nebraska Medicine.  

Dr. Royer said the first couple of weeks have gone well.

“We have a great team with supportive co-residents, eager M3 students, and a great attending,” Dr. Royer said. “While I fully expect this to be a challenging month, I’m excited to start my residency journey and be back seeing patients!”

Dr. Ngo said the Department of Psychiatry has done an excellent job with orientation.

“It has also been a joy to get to know my co-interns better, both on and off work. I’ve been so excited to be back in Omaha, and despite being from Hawaii, I’m looking forward to the return of winter in a few months.  In addition to seeing snow once more, I can hardly wait to begin practicing psychiatry as soon as I complete my off-service rotations in December!”

Dr. Ngo said he may specialize in addiction psychiatry.

Dr. Kelly said his first few weeks as a resident have been nothing but positive.

“As with any major life transition, starting residency has been accompanied by a certain degree of anxiety, but I continue to be pleasantly surprised by how supportive all of the faculty and senior residents are. So far, UNMC has proven to be a terrific place to train,” he said.

Dr. Kelly, who graduated from UNMC, said he went into psychiatry because he enjoys connecting with patients and hearing their stories.

“I think it’s the best part of being a physician. Psychiatric illnesses typically impact so many aspects of a person’s life, and I find a great deal of fulfillment in working with patients and other members in the care team to create a treatment plan that is multifaceted and addresses both the psychosocial and biological contributors to illness,” Dr. Kelly said. “I also think psychiatrists are in a privileged position to care for some of the most vulnerable members of our society. It is profoundly meaningful work.”

Sharing is caring!