Spotlight: Cindy Sands

Cindy Sands

Cindy Sands started at UNMC in 1999. With her friendly smile, Cindy has greeted hundreds of patients at the front desk. When she’s not working with patients, Cindy has helped out with medical records. This year, she accepted the role of Operations Lead within the Department of Psychiatry. In her new role, Sands will be working with the new Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP). For all her hard work, Sands was nominated for the Kind and Caring Award, an honor handed by Nebraska Medicine to an employee who goes above and beyond in his or her job.

What do you love about your job?
The patients and my co-workers. I love working with people. I started working out in the children’s division, and I enjoyed it. I like children. I have three children and eleven grandchildren of my own. It’s a wonderful job because I get to be around people all the time. I’m a people person.

What is your new role entail?
My new role is as Operations Lead. I’m doing payroll. I’m overseeing the clinic’s new clerical team. I’m making sure everyone is doing what they’re supposed to be doing at their posts. I’m pretty much (Clinic Manager) Maggie (Milner’s) right-hand person. I’m helping Maggie out in whatever ways needed, but I’m also doing all the schedules and templates.

What excites you about your new role with the IOP?
We’re opening a brand new program, and I’m involved with it. I’m just a small part of it, but it’s kind of cool to see how it’s all coming together. From having locks installed to the opening day when we’re actually seeing patients, it’s exciting. We want the new program to be successful because it’s a unique program. I love being over there and seeing how things are falling into place. We’ve waited two-and-a-half years to start this program, and now it’s happening. The therapists are so excited to see patients. Being a part of it all is wonderful. We are providing collaborative care. It’s nice to see it coming together.

What are your hobbies?
I am a very faithful person. I go to a lot of church activities. I also spend a lot of time with my family. I love my (eleven) grandchildren. They’re all local, so we get together a lot. We play lots of games and find fun things to do at home.

Sharing is caring!