Due to construction, the elevators on the 3rd level of Wittson Hall are unavailable. To access the library, utilize stairwell C, which is located on the hallway next to the east (Poynter Hall) entrance. The stairwell should be taken to the 2nd level and follow the signs to Gross Anatomy / Elevators to access the elevators that can take you to the 6th level of the library. For those needing accessibility accommodations, contact the AskUs Desk at 402-559-6221 for an alternate route.
As of August 18, 2020 at 8:00 a.m., the library is open and only accessible to UNMC students, faculty, and staff and Nebraska Medicine staff. The library is open 24/7 and is staffed Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Building Access and Safety
A UNMC or Nebraska Medicine ID badge is required for building and library access.
- If an ID badge does not work, contact the UNMC Photo ID office at 402-559-8414, email@example.com, or visit the Student Life Center, Room 1048 during regular business hours.
- Library users should make their ID visible.
- To maintain a safe environment, do not let anyone tailgate into an elevator or badge access area.
- Follow any evacuation procedures during a weather, fire, or other emergency.
- Contact Public Safety with any concerns at 402-559-5111.
All library users and staff will follow campus guidelines on masking, social distancing, and cleaning.
- Masks will be required for entering the library. Non-compliance will result in non-entrance to the library.
- Masks must be worn in all open areas. No food or drink is allowed in open areas.
- Masks may be removed in individual study rooms and faculty hoteling offices; doors must remain closed. Food and drink are allowed in study rooms and faculty hoteling offices.
- Social distancing is expected throughout the library. Floor markings will indicate social distancing at the library’s AskUs desk. Floor markings will also provide suggested paths through the library’s spaces, entrances, and exits. To promote social distancing practices, some furniture has been removed from some areas.
- Sanitation and cleaning stations and disinfectant will be placed throughout the library. Clean individual and group spaces, including keyboards, before and after use. Proper hygiene, including frequent handwashing, is expected.
Books and anatomical models may be requested for checkout via the library catalog or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library staff will follow procedures to reduce the number of touchpoints for all materials that are based on industry guidelines for isolation of library materials between use. Users may find a short delay in availability of items.
- Appointments are required for anatomical model circulation.
- Books should be returned to the book drops located at the Wittson Hall Level 3 elevators or inside of the library on Level 6 of the library.
Rooms and Spaces
Occupancy in all library spaces is currently reduced. Study rooms and conference rooms may be reserved via EMS, the centralized campus reservation system. The library spaces policy includes more information about these spaces.
Renovation in Progress
We look forward to welcoming you to the newly renovated library spaces. Through early 2021, there will be minor touch-ups and occasional construction noise. While the library is generally quiet, you may hear some rumbling during your visit. Video tours and images of the new spaces are coming soon. Welcome back!
Since February 2017, the library’s Reflection Room has provided a quiet space to reflect and meditate for members of the UNMC and Nebraska Medicine community. The UNMC Department of Psychiatry, a sponsor of the Reflection Room, advised on several aspects of setup, access, and promotion. Their support helped the library bring artwork, soft lighting, comfortable cushions and mats, and a massage chair to the space. A second massage chair was later added on the sixth floor. The library continues to partner with the UNMC Department of Psychiatry and UNMC’s Wellbeing Coordinating Council to increase the number of wellness resources and opportunities on campus.
The room has been used nearly 500 times, with UNMC students accounting about for half of those uses. As partners in campus wellness initiatives, the library is proud to host this Reflection Room on campus. The library has received several comments about the space:
“Please don’t get rid of this room. It is a lifesaver.” — a student
“THANK YOU SO MUCH! So extremely wonderful!” –unknown
“Thank you for providing this for us! I really feel more centered.” –a staff member
All user comments were reviewed by the library’s facilities planning committee. Some suggestions prompted us to make minor adjustments, such as the addition of signage and tips for accessing QR codes for music. We received requests to place scented items and incense in the room. However, scents do not appeal to everyone (and may cause headaches) and open flames are not allowed. When we were asked to help keep the space quiet, we made a note to address hallway noise with staff and visitors.
The Reflection Room is located on the 8th floor of the McGoogan Library of Medicine in room 8016A and is open to all during regular library hours. No reservations are required.
Due to issues with the facility, the library is closed for the rest of the day, Tuesday January 2.
New pieces of test furniture have arrived! Help select the furniture that will go in to the eventual renovated library. The furniture samples are located on the 6th floor of the library, on the south side past the writing center. Comment cards are available, so sit, study and let us know what you think!