Internal Deadline: Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016
Program Summary & Background
UNMC is allowed to submit five applications to NE DHHS so Principal Investigators (PI’s) who are interested in submitting applications must first participate in UNMC’s internal screening process by submitting a one-page project description and biosketch. A total of approximately $437,000 is available for the 2016 competition.
In 2008, the Nebraska State Legislature adopted the Stem Cell Research Act (LB 606), which established a Stem Cell Research Advisory Committee to facilitate the awarding of grants to Nebraska institutions or researchers for conducting stem cell research that does not use human embryonic stem cells.
UNMC Internal Review Process
Applicants must email the following to Deborah Hawkins at email@example.com by March 23rd:
- One page project description in PDF format
- Biosketch in PDF format
An internal review committee will evaluate the project descriptions based on the selection criteria in the linked RFA and invite five investigators to submit full applications to NE DHHS. Based on previous reviews of the full applications, it is recommended that special emphasis be placed on the translational merits of the proposed projects. Thus, the internal review committee will be asked to evaluate the therapeutic potential associated with each proposed project, in addition to the “Selection Criteria” indicated in the RFA.
Up to $110,000 for a one-year period (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017)
- Indirect costs are unallowable
- Salary support for the PI, doctoral level co-investigators, and administrative or clerical assistance is unallowable
- Note: UNMC requires researchers to commit effort to projects for which they will serve as PIs. To minimize cost-share, SPAdmin recommends committing no more than 10%
- A proposal may not be an extension of a project previously funded by LB606; it should be substantially different enough to be clearly a new project
- Renewals of existing projects are not allowed
- There is no prohibition for a current grantee to apply for the new RFA
Wednesday, March 23, 2016…..One-page Project Description & Biosketch (PDF only) due to Deb Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday, March 30, 2016…..Five (5) UNMC Applicants announced by Review Committee
Wednesday, April 13, 2016……..Full applications due to SPAdmin by 5pm to allow for processing
Monday, April 18, 2016………….Signed applications submitted to NE DHHS by SPAdmin via PDF
Mid-June, 2016……………………Selection of awards by NE DHHS
For more information: