Internal Deadline: March 9, 2015
NE DHHS 2015 Stem Cell Research Project
Program Summary & Background
UNMC is allowed to submit only five applications to NE DHHS so Principal Investigators (PI’s) who are interested in submitting applications must first participate in UNMC’s internal screening process by submitting a one page project description and biosketch. A total of $437,000 is available for the 2015 competition.
In 2008, the Nebraska State Legislature adopted the Stem Cell Research Act (LB 606), which established a Stem Cell Research Advisory Committee to facilitate the awarding of grants to Nebraska institutions or researchers for conducting stem cell research that does not use human embryonic stem cells.
UNMC Internal Review Process
Applicants must email the following to Deborah Hawkins at email@example.com by March 9, 2015:
- One page project description in PDF format
- Biosketch in PDF format. An internal review committee will evaluate the project descriptions based on the selection criteria in the linked RFA and invite five investigators to submit full applications to NE DHHS. Based on previous reviews of the full applications, it is recommended that special emphasis be placed on the translational merits of the proposed projects. Thus, the internal review committee will be asked to evaluate the therapeutic potential associated with each proposed project, in addition to the “Selection Criteria” indicated in the RFA.
Up to $110,000 for a one-year period (July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016)
- Indirect costs are unallowable
- Salary support for the PI, doctoral level co-investigators, and administrative or clerical assistance is unallowable
Note: UNMC requires researchers to commit effort to projects for which they will serve as PIs. To minimize cost-share, SPAdmin recommends committing no more than 10%.
- A proposal may build on an existing project but should be substantially different enough to be clearly a new project; it may not be an extension of a previous project
- Renewals of existing projects are not allowed
- There is no prohibition for a current grantee to apply for the new RFA
Monday, March 9, 2015……………One-page Project Description & Biosketch (PDF only) due to Deb Hawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday, March 18, 2015……..Five (5) UNMC Applicants announced by Review Committee
Tuesday, April 7, 2015………………Full applications due to SPAdmin by 5pm to allow for processing
Friday, April 10, 2015………………..Signed applications submitted to NE DHHS by SPAdmin via PDF
Mid-June, 2015………………………Selection of awards by NE DHHS
For more information:
- Click here for the Stem Cell Research Project 2015 RFA, instructions and attachments
- UNMC Internal Screening: contact Dr. Bayles at email@example.com or 9-4945
- Contact your Sponsored Programs Grants and Contracts Specialist