Public Health Community Advisory – With a mission of stimulating curiosity and exciting the minds of children and adults about the amazing world of science, the Nebraska Science Festival (“NE SciFest”) celebrated four years of outreach in April 2016 with events and activities taking place throughout Nebraska.
In 2016, the NESciFest expanded its reach by:
- growing, with more events (from 56 in 2015 to 88), venues (36 to 48), cities (12 to16) and attendees (13,699 to 17,676).
- increasing content and attendance through signature events such as the student and public science expos and the keynote presentation by LeVar Burton, former “Star Trek” actor and “Reading Rainbow” producer.
- adding more programming, highlighting women in STE(A)M, including “Women in Science: A Panel Discussion”.
- extending across the state with the inclusion of the Riverside Discovery Center’s mini festival in Scottsbluff and a statewide social media science scavenger hunt.
In 2017, UNMC will again present the Nebraska Science Festival and is confident that it will meet and exceed our goals for:
- adding adult and teen programming throughout the state.
- highlighting women in STE(A)M.
- increasing unique and non-traditional venues/programming.
- expanding the geographic reach of the festival.
- increasing attendance by 5 percent.
UNMC thanks all the volunteers, exhibitors, sponsors, teachers, students and sites for sharing their passion for science. Dedication and support by participants makes it possible to showcase Nebraska’s strengths in science.
This article was written by Kacie Baum, Events and Science Outreach Coordinator in the Department of Public Relations at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.