News & Events

Moses New-Aaron

Moses New-Aaron

Student Highlight: Moses New-Aaron
Hometown/Country: Ponyon, Kogi State, Nigeria.
Degree Program/Concentration: Master of Public Health, Biostatistics Concentration

What brought you to the field of public health? After College, I received training from the United States President ‘s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) for logistics management of HIV/AIDS commodities and in Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) assay of HIV for early infant diagnosis. We provided data on the progress of the mother to child transmission of HIV interventions to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This job gave me experience with HIV patients, other infectious diseases and data management. I saw the role of data analysis in predicting, researching and making decisions that can improve the conditions and health of the suffering children. Since then, I decided to be a part of this noble team of biostatisticians who analyze numbers to improve population health.

What do you like most about the COPH? Everyone likes to be home, and the College of Public health has become a home to me. Because the College feels like home, I have no personal restrictions on the number of hours, time of the day or time of the week that I am at COPH. The functionality of the staff and the mentoring program in the college is what I like most. I appreciate the step by step guidance and support I receive from my advisor and other members of the faculty in the Biostatistics department.

What are your career goals after graduation? My career path is towards research in infectious diseases and pathology. Having a Bachelors degree in Clinical Laboratory Science has formed a basis for fulfilling that. After graduation, I want to enroll in a Ph.D. program in infectious diseases and pathology. This way I can link my background in laboratory medicine to Biostatistics to be able to explore the unending world of research   Three things people may not know about me:

• I am passionate about singing, but I have a very terrible singing voice.
  • I grew up in a neighborhood with table tennis on the streets. So I started playing at the age of 5, and it turned out to be my favorite and only sport.
  • I have never played a video game.