News & Events

Stephanie Nelson

Stephanie Nelson

Student Highlight – Stephanie Nelson is a dual degree MPH/MBA student, in the Public Health Administration concentration.

Hometown: Omaha, Nebraska

What brought you to public health? I first became interested in public health through undergraduate classes in disease prevention. After attending UNMC’s COPH Open House and meeting with professors in the HSRA Department, I felt that the MPH curriculum would greatly enhance my education and career opportunities.

What do you like most about COPH? My favorite part of the College of Public Health is the many opportunities that students are given to experience different aspects of public health. This summer, I did research in Tanzania for three months through the CEESP program with students from UNMC and the University of Michigan. I worked with health professionals in a third world country and got to experience a completely different health care system. This is an experience that I am so thankful for, and I feel fortunate to be attending a university that offers these kinds of opportunities.

Three things people may not know about me:

1) I love spicy food and put hot sauce on almost everything.

2) I went on two African safaris this summer while in Tanzania.

3) I grew up just down the street from UNMC.