Dr. Anyun “Mae” Ma joins department as the new Addiction Medicine Fellow

Anyun “Mae” Ma, MD, has joined the Department of Psychiatry as an Addiction Medicine Fellow.

The addiction medicine fellow trains in both inpatient and outpatient settings. The inpatient experiences include an Addiction Psychiatry Consult Liaison service at Nebraska Medicine. The fellow also rotates in a full continuum treatment center that provides hospital-based withdrawal management through all levels of care down to outpatient care. The outpatient rotations involve addiction medicine and addiction psychiatry, including a true co-occurring intensive outpatient clinic, office-based opioid treatment, and an adolescent outpatient clinic.

Dr. Ma graduated from Tongji University School of Medicine (Shanghai, China) in 2014. Soon after, she moved to Omaha, attended UNMC, and graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy in neurocardiac physiology in 2020. In 2024, she finished a family medicine residency at Clarkson Family Medicine. She believes having a solid background in addiction medicine will help in her career in family medicine.

“During the residency training, I did a lot of rotations. I liked addiction medicine because it’s very practical and very in demand with all the patient populations I’ve seen,” said Dr. Ma. “I think it’s very useful in the future. What I will learn in this fellowship will help me with my future patients who have addiction problems.”

While training in China, Dr. Ma received numerous awards, including a National Scholarship from the Chinese Ministry of Education (2013), The First Prize Scholarship of the Medical School (2013), the National Encouragement Scholarship by the Ministry of Education of China (2011), and the Honored Student of Tongji University (2010-2013).

Even while studying in China, she noticed a “huge population,” of patients with substance use issues.

“As a family physician, I want to be able to notice and screen these issues; issues someone might not even know they are dealing with, like alcoholism,” Dr. Ma said.

Dr. Ma hopes to be the third doctor to finish the one-year fellowship, which started in 2019.  She started on September 2, 2024, and will work in the department until August 2025.

Sharing is caring!