Wednesday, 9/2/20– ZOOM Meeting Room, 5:30pm
1. Call to Order
2. Roll Call
3. Guest Speakers
4. Approval of Minutes-
5. Advisor’s Report
- Welcome back!
- Thanks to all who contributed to the New Student Orientation efforts
- Opportunity coming next week to participate in interviews for new Director of Financial Aid
- 1-Check UNMC app – please encourage download and daily usage
- Should be completed by each student, every day
- Mask usage – seeing pretty good compliance, but still significant room for improvement
- Physical distancing – seeing particular challenges when people are having lunch and when folks step outside a building
- UNMC Student COVID Commitment (Canvas)
- UNMC Today Subscription for all Students
- Communications Specialist application process ongoing
- Lincoln Campus- Alternative safety measures, 1-Check UNMC App use an opportunity for growth
6. Executive Council’s Reports:
- What are you hearing from students as they return to campus?
- Positives? Concerns? Discrepancies or points of confusion?
- Student organization leaders, use of student communications
- Struggling to reach out beyond their own college
- What are requirements?
- Currently: 50% open rate, 5% click rate
- Culture shift, working to make the most effective transfer
- Channing Bunch will be working to improve upon this
- Document in development to best use Engage
- Student leader training for the platform
- Addressing student commitment to COVID-19 safety
- Shark-Tank style funding opportunity
- Premise: Fund infrastructure with student Senate surplus funds
- Money to serve as seed money to launch an initiative
- In idea stage, has not yet been launched/advertised
- Funds would go toward Omaha campus-specific initiatives
- Allison Vlach-Fridge Funding for general student use (e.g. meal storage)
- Reworking Constitution
- Hannah Lund- Evaluation of Senate Seat to each college’s student population size
- Additionally: Seats for non-Omaha campus students
- Inclusive NE
- Shaker Dukkipati:
- Partnership with Channing Bunch to identify strategies for implementation
- Discussions with Dr. Sherritta Strong
- Virtual presentations with local & national speakers
- Dialogue structure needing alterations ot accommodate for online format
- Peer Support Network
- Building a program for every college
- COM: 6-7 students
- COPH: 1 student
- COP: ~12 students (all executive board members for each class)
- Grad Studies: Historically, there were 3-4 students who were involved
- Publicity Campaign
- Exploring opportunities to publicize each college’s representatives
- Advertise expectations
- Have you reached out to your college?
- Call for representatives from other colleges
- Training for students
- Currently meetings with Dr. Carver
- Working on modules or other modalities to expand training as interest grows
- UNO event scheduled, will include multiple speakers from Omaha community
- Series in September
- Goal: engagement of black businesses and organizations for networking and information
- New position hired: Jennifer Albites graduate assistant hired in gender and sexuality resource center to expand access from UNO to UNMC, online
- How are we doing and what can we do better?
- Diversity and inclusivity lunch and learn
- Advocacy, diversity, inclusivity; aimed towards healthcare
- Hannah and Dan have been working on this
- Adding a diversity and inclusion committee
- Chair could be point person for Dr. Strong, et al.
- Committee would take on projects
- Hannah T., Taylor K., Shaker, Lauren G. loop together to propose new committee
- Resolution on GFR
- Well received
- Working on reminder to nephrology department to keep moving forward
- Will release statement when ready
- DEI Liaison
- Vice President:
- Update Engage page
- Dr. Covington got all the photos!
- Roster: confirm
- Updated budget
- Funding from other sources
7. Committee Reports:
Committee Meetings will start Wednesday 9/16/20!
- Academic Affairs:
- Student Senate Picnic September 12th, 4:00-6:00 at Elmwood park.
- On Campus Events???
- Blood Drive Canceled 🙁
8. College Reports
- College of Allied Health:
- College of Dentistry:
- College of Graduate Studies:
- College of Medicine:
- College of Nursing:
- College of Pharmacy:
- College of Public Health:
- Liaison Reports:
- E-Learning/Module development program open. Zoom meeting Thursday 9/17 @ noon.
- E-Learning Lab -> Now located on 6th floor of McGoogan library. EZStudio open (new video/audio recording space for students and faculty alike!)
- Global engagement
- Getting ways to improve international student representation
- How can we make students feel more welcome to campus
- International Pal/Buddy program or International Ambassador program
9. New Business:
10. Old Business
- All those who helped with orientation and all of the events of the summer!
- Becca and Pranita for their work on the Student COVID Commitment development