By Alison Bobal
Procedures Consult is an online tool that offers easy access to complete details on how to prepare for, perform and follow up on the most common procedures required in today’s hospital setting. Procedures Consult covers the procedures required by the ABIM (American Board of Internal Medicine) and conforms to ACGME standards to help physicians and residents to consistently achieve the best patient outcomes. This tool enhances efficiency and consistency of medical procedures education.
Procedures Consult contains high-quality illustrations and multi-media for each procedure, highlights patient safety guidelines and includes indications, contraindications, anatomy and equipment. It also includes self-directed procedures training and testing – with trackable results.
The Procedures Consult modules available at UNMC are Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine and Family Medicine.
By Alison Bobal
PsycINFO is the largest database devoted to peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health. It is produced by the American Psychological Association and includes more than four million records covering almost 2,500 journals (99% are peer-reviewed), books, book chapters and selected dissertations.
The content in PsycINFO is selected by APA experts based on quality and relevance to the field. The database is updated weekly and it includes features such as First Posting for journal records, ensuring access to the earliest publication of a journal article. The coverage dates back to 1597 with comprehensive coverage from the 1880s. Publications included in the database come from more than 50 countries.
The McGoogan Library of Medicine’s subscription to PsycINFO is on the EBSCO platform which allows you to search PyscINFO alongside other databases such as CINAHL and MEDLINE to help expand your search results.
On April 29, 2016 access to the majority of library electronic resources will require authentication while on-campus. Although this may seem like an inconvenience, it’s a necessary step to ensure compliance with our licenses. Fortunately the username and password you will use to authenticate is the same as your UNMC NetID.
Because of the large number of licensed resources, moving access to this new setup will occur throughout the week beginning April 25, 2016 with the targeted end date of Friday April 29. If you have any questions, please contact Alison Bobal at email@example.com.
By Alison Bobal
CINAHL, the Cumulative Index of Nursing and Allied Health Literature, indexes the top nursing and allied health literature available including nursing journals and publications from the National League for Nursing and the American Nurses Association. The literature included in CINHAL covers a wide range of topics including nursing, biomedicine, health sciences librarianship, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and 17 allied health disciplines.
In addition, CINAHL provides access to health care books, nursing dissertations, selected conference proceedings, standards of practice, audiovisuals and book chapters. It also includes legal cases, clinical innovations, critical paths, research instruments and clinical trials.
CINAHL provides an easy-to-use interface with basic and advanced search features and searchable cited references. CINAHL Subject Headings help users effectively search and retrieve information and follow the structure of the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) used by the National Library of Medicine.
UNMC’s subscription to CINAHL includes:
- Full text for nearly 580 journals, many with no embargo/delay
- Full-text coverage dating back to 1981
- Indexing for over 3,100 journals
- More than 3.4 million records
- Author affiliations
- Searchable cited references
By Alison Bobal
Clinical Pharmacology provides a single resource to answer medication questions. The content is updated regularly to include newly released drug products and breaking developments. This resource includes:
- Monographs – Get concise, accurate, clinically-relevant information on all U.S. prescription drugs, plus hard-to-find coverage of herbal, nutritional and OTC products, new and investigational drugs.
- Reports – Helps you evaluate and choose appropriate medications.
- Drug Product Information – Provides extensive information on drug product attributes and physical descriptors. Full color product and package images as well as product storage information.
- Patient Education – The handouts comply with all national standards for Consumer Medication Information (CMI).
- Drug Identifier – This feature allows you to quickly and accurately identify unknown tablets and capsules. When the appearance of a drug changes, Clinical Pharmacology is able to search the drug’s new and previous appearances.
- Searching – Allows you to search for and find drug information in multiple ways. Conduct an overall site search or search by indication, adverse reaction, classification, NDC or manufacturer.
- Resource Center – Offers a collection of handy reference information, such as lab references, including pediatric ranges; pharmaceutical manufacturer/distributor contact information; links to drug class overviews; and links to add-on drug and disease information modules.