The University of Nebraska Board of Regents Thursday approved the naming of the McGoogan Library of Medicine Special Collections Suite in honor of Leo J. McCarthy, M.D.
A 1964 medical school graduate of UNMC, Dr. McCarthy is professor emeritus at Indiana University School of Medicine, where he served on the faculty from 1971-2003. At Indiana, Dr. McCarthy was professor of pathology/laboratory medicine, pathology, and pediatrics, and also was the longtime director of the division of transfusion medicine.
During his academic career, Dr. McCarthy authored more than 300 publications and was the recipient of numerous prestigious awards, including the 2014 UNMC College of Medicine Distinguished Alumnus Award.
Emily McElroy, director of the McGoogan Library of Medicine, said Dr. McCarthy has been a huge supporter of the McGoogan Library of Medicine and particularly the history of medicine.
“Dr. McCarthy’s passion for the history of medicine and the McGoogan Library of Medicine makes this a special moment for our library staff and faculty,” McElroy said. “John Schleicher, our head of special collections, and I could not be more grateful for our friendship with Dr. McCarthy. Through the support of individuals like Dr. McCarthy, the library’s special collections program will continue its tradition of excellence.”
The Special Collections Suite is located on the eighth floor of the library, room 8000A. It includes the office area for the head of special collections as well as the library’s Nebraska collection (books and journals). In addition, archival collections relating to the history of UNMC and the history of the health professions in Nebraska are kept in the suite.
Naming the suite in honor of Dr. McCarthy marks the sixth named area in the McGoogan Library, McElroy said. Previous library namings include:
- Guinter Kahn, M.D., College of Medicine class of 1958 – sixth floor;
- George Rosenlof, Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln administrator and the uncle of UNMC alum Robert Rosenlof, M.D. – sixth floor, computer cluster area;
- Rudolph Sievers, M.D., College of Medicine class of 1939 – eighth floor, room 8012, Sievers Facility for Interactive Instruction;
- Clarence Bantin, M.D., College of Medicine class of 1924 – eighth floor, north rare book room; and
- James Linder, M.D., College of Medicine class of 1980 – sixth floor, The Linder Library Lounge.
A dedication ceremony and reception for Dr. McCarthy will be held at the McGoogan Library of Medicine at 10 a.m. on Sept. 25.