THE PULSE, University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska, Vol. X, No. 6, February 23, 1916, p. 10-11.
Here is the medical school of the University of Nebraska, which the state has started to build at Forty-Second Street and Dewey Avenue. One building is now in use and a second is to be built shortly, the contract having been awarded. The others will be built as appropriations are made.
The building in the foreground to the right is the college now in use. Immediately behind this is the proposed nurses’ home. The long building in the center is the hospital, now under contract for construction, and in the foreground at the left, only a corner showing, is the proposed additional college building.
The hospital, to cost $130,000, is being built to fill two direct demands: to provide medical and surgical care for the indigent, worthy sick of the state, and second, to furnish teaching advantages for students in the college. Each county will be allowed to send its quota of charges to be given this free medical and surgical treatment.
The big hospital is to be three stories and basement and to consist of three wings. In the central wing on the ground floor will be the receiving department and hospital store rooms. The first floor is for the offices and for the hospital proper. Quarters for interns and the house physicians will be on the second floor. The roof above this will be tiled and have a high coping, providing a roof garden, where patients may be wheeled for open air treatment.
In the basement of the north wing will be the department of pathology and a demonstration class room. The first floor above will be the male medical ward of sixteen beds, with rest rooms, nurses’ work rooms, etc. The second floor above will be the same equipment and number of beds for male surgical patients, and the third floor will be for special male cases and various specialties and male children. The other wing will be the same, but for women patients.
The buildings are to be entirely of brick, stone and terra cotta. The campus will be given over to shrubbery and ornamental flower beds. The building is to be completed by January 1, 1917. John Latenser & Sons of Omaha are architects.
Contact the Archives at 402-559-7094 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the history of UNMC.