Emergency Medicine

Ultra-Upgrades!

After a few long, hard months of second-year I am fortunate to have the chance to participate in the ultrasound elective this month. It is a chance to hone my skills, practice procedures, and get caught up on all sorts of things that I had said I’d do for the past few months (dishes, laundry, research, in-service studying, car repairs, surveys, and of course taxes!). This has been a great time to have a month devoted to ultrasound as we have had a lot of good news in the ultrasound realm lately. We had two exciting new additions to our ED Ultrasound program this month – both tech and teaching.

The first is the addition of two new ultrasound machines—the Mindray TE7 and the SonoSite X-Porte. These machines compliment an already stellar stable of ultrasound equipment including two Phillips Sparq machines and a Sonosite S-series. The Mindray is a touch screen machine that resembles an iPad and has the feel of it as well. You can swipe, tap, drag and pinch to easily acquire beautiful ultrasound images. The SonoSite X-Porte is just incredible. It has such perfect image quality (or as they call it Extreme Definition Imaging) and is equally user friendly. I performed a transabdominal 1st trimester ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy with the X-Porte and the images were crisp, clear and perfectly diagnostic—it was amazing! These are state-of-the-art machines and we are extremely lucky to be able to use them on a daily basis! It is cool to be exposed to multiple types of ultrasound interfaces and to have access to such up-to-date equipment.

Another upgrade is the addition of Dr. Josh Miller as adjunct faculty specifically for Ultrasound. Dr. Miller is a graduate of the Ultrasound Leadership Academy (ie he is to Mike and Matt as Plato was to Socrates—or something like that) and has taught several courses about emergency ultrasound. He practices at another hospital in town but has agreed to supervise scanning shifts once a week. Residents on scan shifts and those on an ultrasound elective will have the opportunity to work with Dr. Miller. I have had the opportunity to experience his first few teaching shifts and they far exceeded expectations. In a few hours with Dr. Miller I figured out several things I have been struggling to accomplish on my own for months. Having Dr. him present to provide immediate, direct feedback on pathology, anatomy and technique is extremely valuable and I’m looking forward to more shifts with Dr. Miller.

It is awesome to see the results of resident feedback and to have some ultra-upgrades to our ultrasound education. Having dedicated scanning shifts, state-of-the-art ultrasound equipment and two ultrasound gurus (Dr. Zeger and Dr. Miller) is a solid improvement to our ultrasound education!

Mike Osborn, MD

PGY-2 Emergency Medicine Resident

UNMC Emergency Medicine