Since 1995, Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) Fellowship Programs have contributed to efforts to build an effective public health workforce by placing public health graduate students in federal agency offices in the US and around the world. Under the guidance of mentors, participants experience first-hand how to apply public health theory and knowledge in practical settings. ASPPH fellows train in areas such as monitoring and surveillance, program management, research, evaluation, informatics, statistics, epidemiology, environmental health, and policy while making meaningful contributions to important public health programs.
A research opportunity is currently available within the Asthma and Community Health Branch (ACHB), Division of Environmental Health Science and Practice (DEHSP) of the National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia.
Since 1977 the PMF Program has matched outstanding graduate students with exciting Federal opportunities.
This rigorous, two-year paid fellowship includes challenging assignments, developmental assignments, and networking opportunities. Finalists appointed as PMFs are hired by Federal Agencies to engage in solving domestic and/or international issues in a variety of fields, such as public policy, foreign policy, business administration, engineering, science, technology, public health, cybersecurity, and more.
The PMF Program seeks eligible graduate students every year who want to make a difference through public service.
The selection process for the Presidential Management Fellows Program consists of the following:
- On-Line Assessment
- Finalist Selection
- Agency Placement as a Fellow
More information about application and selection is available on the PMF website, at www.pmf.gov.
If you are interested in federal employment, you should consider this program (many fellows go on to secure a permanent position). Recent years have seen a number of public health related positions, and we expect to see even more this year.
The website has a lot of helpful information for applicants on the Become a PMF tab. This year the application will be open from September 30th – October 14th.
Opportunities for students & grads with COVID Response Corps
The CDC Foundation is actively hiring for their COVID Response Corps for positions including contact tracers, epidemiologists, nurses, project managers, administrative assistants, and others – in locations around the country. Today there are many job postings on their COVID-19 Corps jobs website [5voh.mjt.lu], and it is being updated with new opportunities daily.
For graduating students of public health with an undergraduate or master level degree this spring, students are encouraged to look at the listing at the end of the job postings for contact tracers nationwide. There are a number of contract tracer positions and as the front line COVID public health workers, these positions provide an outstanding opportunity to work with the nation’s lead agency charged with protecting the public’s health.These contact tracer positions will be trained and placed in local health departments to call people diagnosed with COVID-19, gather their contacts, and proceed to call every contact in reference. This is in tandem with community-wide efforts to increase testing, improve communication and implementation of isolation and quarantine. This will fortify efforts to control the pandemic. The contact tracer may use a web-based contact resource management (CRM) platform to document a symptom check, refer them for testing according to established protocols, and provide them with instructions for quarantine. Contact tracers with be trained to follow policies and procedures provided, and comply with Department of Public Health training regarding confidential information related to personal information.The CDC Foundation offers a competitive salary and attractive benefits package.
CDC COVID-19 vacancies are posted on USA jobs. Below you will see positions listed by job type, by grade and if permanent/term/temporary.
Each Vacancy Announcement will be opened for 30-45 days, with a 5 -calendar day cut-off. I suggest using the Key Word search function on USAJobs to find the job titles below, or cutting and pasting the Vacancy Announcement Numbers. I recommend looking closely at each type of position, since the duties and qualifications vary and there may be some you are interested in even if you are not familiar with the job title. Also, make sure to view the post with positions being filled via the CDC Foundation.
The cut-off dates vary and are as follows:
Vacancy Information: Emergency Management Specialist, GS-0089-09/11/12/13:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782669
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TERM): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782670
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TEMPORARY): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782671
Vacancy Information: Lead Emergency Management Specialist, GS-0089-14:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782838
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TERM): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782839
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TEMPORARY): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782840
Vacancy Information: IT Specialist, GS-2210-11/12/13/14:
- Vacancy Announcement Permanent: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782281
- Vacancy Announcement TERM: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782284
- Vacancy Announcement TEMP: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782283
Vacancy Information: Health Communications Specialist, GS-1001-11/12/13/14:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10781555:GS-11/12/13/14
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TERM): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782966:GS-11/12/13/14
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TEMPORARY): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783088:GS-11/12/13/14
Vacancy Information: Health Communications Officer, GS-1001-15:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782955
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TERM): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783028
- Vacancy Announcement Number (TEMPORARY): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783398
Vacancy Information: Public Health Analyst, GS-0685-09/11/12:
- Vacancy Announcement Permanent: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783600
- Vacancy Announcement TERM: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783873
- Vacancy Announcement TEMP: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783874
Vacancy Information: Public Health Analyst, GS-0685-13/14/15:
- Vacancy Announcement Permanent: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783603
- Vacancy Announcement TERM: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783606
- Vacancy Announcement TEMP: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783604
Vacancy Information: Public Health Advisor, GS-0685-09/11/12:
- Vacancy Announcement Permanent: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10781617
- Vacancy Announcement TERM: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783369
- Vacancy Announcement TEMP:HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783782
Vacancy Information: Public Health Advisor, GS-0685-13/14/15:
- Vacancy Announcement Permanent: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID1910783966
- Vacancy Announcement TERM: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783987
- Vacancy Announcement TEMP: HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10783996
Vacancy Information: Health Scientist, GS-0601-11/12/13/14:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782049
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Temp): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782060
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Term): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10782061
Vacancy Information: Epidemiologist, GS-0601-11/12/13/14:
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784098
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Temp): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784099
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Term): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784100
Vacancy Information: Health Scientist (Informatics), GS-0601-11/12/13/14 :
- Vacancy Announcement Number (PERMANENT): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784326
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Temp): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784327
- Vacancy Announcement Number (Term): HHS-CDC-DH-COVID19-10784329