Everyday FAMILY, Inc.’s mission driven employees set out to ensure all children learn, grow, and develop to realize their full potential. Our team does this by empowering families to build a strong foundation and healthy future through education, advocacy, support, and community connection. Are you looking to be an important part of making a difference in your community?
As the Director of Literacy Initiatives, you’ll enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package while being a part of our senior management team. You’ll use your early literacy and early childhood development background to provide strategic leadership for the Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County-Raise Me to Read program.
The Raise Me to Read program is a part of the National Campaign for Grade-Level Reading; the goal of which is to ensure children reach the crucial developmental milestone of reading on-grade level by the end of third grade, ultimately disrupting generational poverty.
FAMILY, Inc is growing! If you’re looking for an organization with strong cultural values and a commitment to empowering families, its community and its employees, this could be for you.
This is the position for you, if…
- You’re passionate in the areas of Early Literacy & Early Childhood Development.
- You thrive in social settings and would enjoy educating the community on the importance-of and how to achieve grade-level reading.
- You can build, organize, and maintain multi-party relationships with key community stakeholders.
Key stakeholders may include school districts, community partners, businesses, local and national foundations, elected officials and other entities with the ability to influence early childhood development and literacy.
- You’re familiar with the Council Bluffs/Pottawattamie County area.
- You’re comfortable with computers, social media, and public relations activities.
As the Director of Literacy Initiatives you will…
Leadership and Management:
- Lead a coalition of stakeholders to develop and implement Raise Me to Read’s Council Bluffs CSAP (Community Solutions Action Plan).
- Serve as chief spokesperson, articulating the organization’s vision, communicate with stakeholders (agencies, funders, and the community) to keep them informed of the work of Raise Me to Read.
- Support the active participation of all advisory committee members and ensure the provision of required information to facilitate sound decisions and determinations.
Partnering / Collaboration:
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Partner with third-party organizations to understand and support their early childhood literacy goals, and identify opportunities to amplify impact through collaboration with Raise Me to Read.
- Liaise with the state and national Campaign for Grade Level Reading teams to share and understand promising strategies in the field of early childhood literacy.
- Regularly review and refresh the CSAP to ensure the strategies guiding Raise Me to Read remain relevant and impactful.
- Prepare an annual budget and work plan to ensure progress is being made on CSAP strategies.
- Create an accountability system to cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with funders and the advisory committee relating to financial and programmatic progress.
- Maintain an understanding of current early literacy implementation challenges and develop comprehensive solutions to address them.
- In partnership with the Omaha affiliate, develop and refine a brand for Raise Me to Read and build and sustain awareness of the Campaign.
- Engage in appropriate public relations activities to build awareness around the campaign and ensure strong community support.
- Use targeted communications channels, such as social media, to reach key groups such as low-income parents, to share appropriate messaging in support of the program.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Reporting:
- Work with advisory board, community partners, and school districts to identify appropriate metrics to measure outcomes for the program.
- Continuously collect and analyze information in order to make data informed decisions.
- Consult with Iowa West Foundation and United Way evaluation staff to plan for and execute regular evaluation of the program.
View the full job description online at the NAM Career Center.