The Safety Specialist is responsible for contributing to the CHI Health mission and vision by providing expertise in the development, implementation, and monitoring of CHI Health corporate Safety Program.
The Safety Specialist ensures CHI facilities have implemented the required elements of safety and accident reduction programs, identified additional opportunities with the facilities for safety improvements and works with the management group to develop the appropriate control mechanisms. An important part is also monitoring regulatory and accredited safety compliance. All efforts must be done in a coordinated fashion to support the strategic and operational needs of the organization focusing on both quality and cost-efficiency.
Some of what you will do:
- Attend safety committee meetings.
- Make changes to work practices that are sage and comply with regulations and legislation.
- Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Carry out risk assessments and consider how risks can be reduced or eliminated.
- Prepare health and safety strategies that follow internal policy.
- Work on various processes such as, but not limited to: Winter Weather Communication, Reference Materials Standards, Life Safety Code Look Up Standards, Waste Disposal Method Determination Standards, and Haz-Com and Chemical Inventory Standards.
- Patient Handling investigations.
- Maintain records of incidents and accidents to help produce statistical facts for managers.
- An advanced degree in a health care related field is desirable. A Bachelor’s degree with appropriate prerequisite knowledge, experience and skills will be considered.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills preferred.
- Strong leadership qualities (task completion, motivation) preferred.
- Effective change agent is highly desirable.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills preferred.
- Fluent in MS Word, Excel, Access and Power Point applications, preferred.
- Entry level with knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of particular field of specialization.
The successful candidate must:
- Possess strong knowledge of safety strategies
- Be well-versed on the ethical implications, clinical ramifications in adverse Healthcare situations;
- Have excellent time management skills and project management;
- Be computer literacy with excellent communication skills;
- Have an ability to present complex issues in an understandable fashion;
- Have strong change management skills;
- Demonstrate personal traits of a high level of motivation;
- Be team orientation; professionalism; trust; and place a high value on treating others with dignity and respect.
View the full job description and apply online here.