The Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (STBF) is a private grantmaking foundation based in Omaha, Nebraska. We work towards a world in which every woman controls her reproduction and all reproductive decisions are treated with dignity and respect. Toward this end, our core mission is to prevent unintended pregnancy and ensure access to safe abortion in the U.S. and internationally.
Position Title: Program Officer, Service Delivery – U.S. Programs
Reports To: Acting Senior Program Officer, Service Delivery
Job Location: Omaha, Nebraska (non-negotiable)
Deadline for Application: May 31, 2019
Duties and responsibilities:
• Work with Service Delivery Team to implement a strategy for expanding access to abortion and contraceptive services in the U.S.
• Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps and opportunities through meetings with key stakeholders including health care institutions; state and federal entities, and other funders.
Work on program and project development and assist grantees on timely and complete proposal submissions.
• Monitor, assess, and support grantees’ project implementation including making site visits.
• Ensure timely submission and review of progress and financial reports and provide feedback including recommendations to the grantees.
• Understand the role of the funder; facilitate communications among funded programs, enabling the grantees to succeed without micromanaging.
• Author memos and reports regarding grantee performance, project progress, and new opportunities.
• Work with the in-house Research and Evaluation Unit on designing organization or program evaluation and monitoring efforts.
• Participate in overall U.S. Program strategic planning process and implementation.
• Contribute to the work life of the Foundation, participate in team activities, and maintain the positive culture of the Foundation work environment.
• Participate in and regularly contribute to team meetings, occasionally presenting to colleagues internally.
• Work with other program officers to integrate program areas across portfolios.
• Performing other duties as requested by the Acting Senior Program Officer, Service Delivery
Knowledge and Skills:
• Commitment to abortion and contraceptive health care.
• Professional/administrative experience in an ambulatory health care delivery system or hospital. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in abortion provision, Title X family planning program, FQHC and/or other related publicly funded health care systems.
• In-depth knowledge of health care financing preferred, especially of public funding such as Medicaid and/or Medicaid Managed Care.
• Ability to work independently and with minimum support personnel.
• Ability to navigate complex inter-personal relationships and operate with transparency and trust while attaining results from a variety of people.
• Excellent written communications skills.
• Appropriate training and demonstrated ability to analyze, think critically, and understand project implementation, management, and evaluation issues.
• Demonstrated ability to process large amounts of information.
• Ability to manage time, handle pressure, and meet deadlines.
• Competence with reading and evaluating financial budgets.
• Ability to travel domestically, and to attend weekend meetings and conferences as necessary.
Education and Experience:
A range of professional experiences and or educational preparation in the field of health care delivery and/or financing will be considered. Responsibilities and job flexibility based on level of experience and history.
View the full job description and application instructions in the document below.