Lutheran Family Services is seeking a Refugee Health Liaison to link refugees, parolees, asylees and victims of human trafficking with health education services and lead health education efforts as needed. Educate providers on CLAS (Culturally and Linguistic Appropriate Service) standards and refugee health needs.
Essential Job Duties:
- Coordinate health education to refugee groups. Topics will include but not limited to, navigating the U.S. health care system, health insurance, healthy lifestyle, and health literacy.
- Complete Health Navigation curriculum with refugees, immigrants, parolees, asylees, and victims of human trafficking in need of health education.
- Identify and train refugee health leaders to serve as health navigators.
- Provide and coordinate interpretation.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various community agencies, colleges, local health departments, non-profit agencies, Nebraska DHHS Office of Health Disparities and Health Equity, and clinics to assist with health education, peer support networks, and community events.
- Travel as needed to perform job functions (Omaha, Lincoln, South Sioux, Grand Island, Schuyler, Lexington)
- Participate in regular meetings with ICH coordinator, state refugee health coordinator, refugee health collaborative meeting and other assigned meetings based upon location
- Organize and coordinate CLAS (Culturally and Linguistic Appropriate Service) trainings for medical providers.
- Connect refugees to peer support groups or aid in the support of creating informal peer support groups
- Collaborate with the Program Specialist to develop and provide education and awareness creation to clients.
- Collaborate with Omaha, Schuyler, South Sioux City, Lexington, Grant Island, Lincoln non-profits organization, medical providers, and other community agencies on behalf of the needs of clients.
- Provide referrals to outside agencies as needed, including but not limited to: food pantries, medical providers, education programs, and other area non-profits as necessary.
- Facilitate implementation of grant expectations.
- Document client interactions as it relates to their case in the ICH Database, Case Notes, Minority Health Database, and other Databases as necessary.
- Provide monthly summary activity reports to the Program Coordinator of ICH and the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Document and track group health education activities.
- Adhere to the Council on Accreditation (COA) record keeping standards.
- Complete data entry of individual client information, group meetings, and ongoing services.
- Maintain accurate, written records of all refugee health education
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities as assigned by supervisor.
- Participate in quarterly check-in meetings
Community and Church Relations
- Develop and maintain relationships with medical referral resources such as clinics, hospitals, health centers, and local health departments.
- Act as a liaison between the ICH and refugee communities, area communities, agencies, and churches.
- Advocate for refugees when interacting with community members.
- Knowledge of the United States Refugee Resettlement program preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or Social Services or equivalent experience in these fields. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with grant writing and reporting, budgeting, projection and strategic planning preferred.
- Bilingual preferred; read, write and speak English clearly and articulately required.
- Linguistically and culturally competent to holistically serve the client populations.
- Possess a theological, philosophical and political commitment to the work.
- Possess excellent decision-making and independent judgement skills.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products and computer data entry.
- Valid Nebraska Driver’s license, proof of liability insurance and ability to drive for organization business.
- Commitment to the mission of Lutheran Family Services.
View the full job description and apply online here.