Deadline: February 6, 2017 (unofficial deadline/reviews begin)
San Francisco State is seeking a Health Educator. Under general supervision, the Health Educator provides assessment of needs, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of a broad spectrum of integrated health education, health promotion and disease prevention programs, for use throughout the campus. The goal of these programs is to meet the health education and promotion needs of an ethnically and culturally diverse student population. Incumbent may directly supervise student peer health educators and/or advise student volunteer members of the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC). Incumbent may also be subject to a background check and fingerprinting.
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an approved program in health education or a related health field.
– Equivalent to one to two years of progressively responsible health education experience or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
– Thorough knowledge of health education theories, research, and program assessment; planning, design, implementation, and evaluation of health education programs and industry standards for the delivery of health education in higher education.
– General knowledge of, or ability to learn quickly, current and emerging college age student health problems and existing methods of intervention and control.
– Working knowledge of the principles of educational and social psychology and their application to SF State’s health education programs; and applicable industry standards and practices for health promotion such as those found in the American College Health Association’s (ACHA) Standards of Practice for Health Promotion in Higher Education.
– Ability to assess needs and establish or recommend program priorities and goals and develop plans to achieve goals; collect, compile, chart and analyze data pertinent to health education program planning; and plan, organize, conduct or oversee a variety of health education programs and activities including discussion groups and workshops.
– Ability to develop educational materials and media such as pamphlets, audio and visual materials, and electronic media.
– Ability to present ideas and information accurately, effectively, and concisely, both orally and in writing.
– Ability to use computer and web-based information technology systems as a resource for research and providing health education programs.
– Ability to maintain confidentiality consistent with applicable laws and regulations.
– Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, students, medical, and other health professionals, representatives of the news media, and other community groups.
– A Council for Education in Public Health approved master’s degree in public health with emphasis on health education, a master’s degree in health science or public health administration or equivalent and/or national certification.
– Experience developing, implementing and coordinating mental health education programs.
– Working knowledge of supervisory and leadership techniques.
– Ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate programs to meet the needs of an ethnically and culturally diverse university campus
– Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES).
View the full job description and apply online:
- Hiring website: http://hr.sfsu.edu/Employment_HRMS/employment/jobs
- Click “Staff/Management Opportunities (Job Seeker/External Applicant)” and find the job ID #6154 and title “Health Educator, Exempt – Health Promotion & Wellness”