|The primary function of this position is to provide biostatistical consultant services to personnel supporting the NASA Human Health and Performance Directorate at Johnson Space Center. This is a position managed under the Space Medicine Operations Division but co-located with and providing significant consulting support to the Biomedical Research and Environmental Sciences Division. Under the technical direction of the Biostatistics Discipline Lead, this individual will be a member of a highly integrated team of biostatisticians, clinicians, epidemiologists and research scientists working to mitigate human spaceflight risks and provide astronaut clinical care and occupational surveillance. In this capacity, the incumbent will provide statistical direction and services on a wide variety of projects to meet NASA human exploration goals. As a member of this team, the incumbent must possess the ability to critically analyze clinical and research data, assimilate findings through the application of intensive and comprehensive knowledge of statistical principles and practices, and effectively visualize and communicate results to a variety of technical and management audiences. Incumbent will perform other duties and assignment as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for compliance with Safety, Health and Environmental plan; must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the Company’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel
• Responsible for compliance with the Quality Assurance Plan, policies and procedures
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance level as determined by the Company
• Responsible for completing all assigned training
• Responsible for complying with all company and HHPC policies, procedures, and work instructions
• Serve as a statistical consultant for assigned research and occupational surveillance projects and other disciplines using clinical and experiment data
• Develop statistical plans for data analysis in support of proposed research questions
• Participate in statistical reviews of ongoing projects to ensure appropriateness of statistical methodology, verify quality and accuracy of statistical analyses, and ensure accurate reporting and interpretation of analyses
• Write programs in statistical software such as SAS to analyze data
• Assist with management of data-oriented deliverables (i.e. database design, validation checks and critical data)
• Develop statistical deliverables (i.e., analysis plans, methodology and statistical results sections, interpretation of results) for data requests, clinical reports, presentations and manuscripts
• Draft and edit reports and manage long term progression of papers, presentations or poster sessions, and NASA reports, and effectively report study results to varied audiences
• Participate in biostatistics team meetings to foster use of best practices and effective communication and collaboration among research and epidemiology group biostatisticians
• Participate and present information in biostatistics and epidemiology technical information exchange meetings and educational forums
Master’s degree plus 4 years’ experience in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, or Applied Mathematics including statistical consulting experience within the medical/physiology field and clinical or occupational data mining
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in writing analysis code in statistical software packages such as SAS, R, Stata, MATLAB etc., including at minimum 2 years using SAS.
• Superior analytical, planning, problem solving, and decision making skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills including effectively explaining statistical concepts to non-statisticians
• Demonstrated experience with collaborations across groups and disciplines
• Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary setting
• Ability to effectively manage multiple concurrent tasks and seek direction on competing priorities
• Demonstrated experience with multiple types of statistical analysis methods including generalized models adjusted for repeated measures, non-parametrics, Bayesian analysis, survival analysis, and missing data techniques
• Experience with the statistical complexities of working with clinical care/human physiological data.
• Successful experience working both independently and as part of a team on multiple concurrent projects (i.e., occupational surveillance projects)
• Has authored/co-authored at least 1 paper in a peer-reviewed publication within the past two years
• At least 5 years’ experience writing code in SAS
• SAS Certification (e.g. SAS Advanced Programming I, II, III, SAS Macros)
• Experience developing data visualizations in Tableau, Centrifuge, or R Shiny
• Ability to be creative in developing tailor-made methods for analyzing “small-n” data sets is strongly desired
Standard Company Requirements:
• Position requires U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status.
• Applicant must include desired salary in application submission.
• Must comply with Safety, Health and Environmental plan, policies and procedures.
• Must comply with the Quality Assurance plan, policies and procedures.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance.
• Responsible for completing all required training.
• Perform other assignments and duties, as required.
Physical & Cognitive Requirements:
• Speaking: Verbal communication using the English language.
• Written Communication: Produce written work using the English language.
• Organization: Prioritize multiple, competing assignments.
• Performance Level: Perform effectively in a fast paced, demanding work environment.
• Seeing: Must be able to read reports and use computers and other office electronics.
• Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with co-workers.
• Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to write, type and use phone system.
• Must be able to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, lift, pull and push.
• Travel Requirement: Must be willing to travel as necessary to meet business needs.
This position does not offer relocation.
This position is eligible for the internal recruiting incentive program.
Visit http://careers.wyle.com/Careers.aspx and search for Biostatistician.