What is EMPOWER?
EMPOWER is a partnership between the WCA and the Inter-professional Service Learning Academy, College of Public Health at UNMC.
The WCA is a national association dedicated to helping women achieve personal, economic, and social successes. The WCA Omaha division offers support in areas that include, but are not limited to, domestic abuse counseling, shelter assistance, legal guidance, and career services.
The UNMC EMPOWER Project is a multidisciplinary student organization committed to fulfilling the health and wellness needs of women who are victims of domestic violence. The organization strives to address these needs by providing health education workshops and medical screenings in an effort to promote awareness of and autonomy over healthcare issues.
EMPOWER Mission Statement
EMPOWER’s mission is to provide education and basic health screenings through collaboration with community partners empowering those affected by domestic violence and poverty through knowledge of their personal health. To educate students, providers, and community members and raise awareness regarding violence against women. This community-campus partnership is sustained through UNMC student leadership and the WCA leadership.
What can you help with?
We are looking for medical, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, pharmacy, physical therapy, nursing, and graduate public health students who can:
- Provide basic health screenings to women at the WCA
- Measure weight and blood pressure, take a past medical history, and screen for depression in presence of faculty providers.
- Present one of our pre-prepared health education sessions
- One presentation is given per afternoon.
- Students are encouraged to present topics that correlate with their educational background. (Example, PT students are encouraged to present the exercise session)
In most instances, participation in providing an education session and/or basic health screening can count towards community service hour requirements.
Where are the sessions held?
222 South 29th Street
Omaha, NE 68131
How do I sign up?
E-mail any of the student recruiters. E-mail addresses can be found under the Student Board Link.