The McGoogan Library of Medicine is pleased to announce the continuation of UpToDate for the 2013 fiscal year (July 2012 – June 2013). Off-campus access to UpToDate is now immediately available with this license renewal. UNMC users can access off-campus through the library’s proxy server, while Nebraska Medical Center users can access off-campus through VPN. Additionally, this off-campus access permits access to the mobile version of UpToDate via the library’s Mobile Resources page. Mobile access can also be achieved by logging into the campus secure wireless network TK-421.
Physicians can also accrue CME credit through their lookups in UpToDate. By creating and logging into a personal account within UpToDate, all lookups will be tracked and converted into CME credit.
UpToDate is generously funded by The Nebraska Medical Center and the UNMC College of Medicine. The library negotiates the license and creates the electronic infrastructure that allows users to connect seamlessly from within UpToDate’s references to the library’s online journal collection.
Usage statistics indicate UpToDate plays a valued and important role in patient care and education at The Nebrska Medical Center. This fiscal year, UpToDate has been accessed an average of 3,500 times per week by TNMC and UNMC personnel.
The McGoogan Library is now providing access to the Embase database.
Embase is most commonly used:
- To track drugs and devices in market, in order to file safety reports;
- As a source for Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) and systematic reviews;
- To search and filter relevant literature to support research and discovery;
With over 25 million indexed records and more than 7,500 currently indexed peer-reviewed journals, Embase is a highly versatile, multipurpose and up-to-date database covering the most important international biomedical literature from 1947 to the present day.
All MEDLINE records produced by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) are included, as well over 5 million records not covered on MEDLINE.
Embase’s unique and comprehensive journal and conference coverage, together with in-depth drug indexing and daily updates including Articles in Press, supports tracking and precise retrieval of drug and disease information – giving you the confidence and tools you need to capture the most relevant and up-to-date information. (source)
Stay tuned for announcements regarding training sessions. Until then, you can view tutorials and read the help guides on the Embase site.
Embase is available to all UNMC faculty, staff, and students.
AccessPharmacy is now available to all UNMC students, faculty, and staff. It may be used by up to five users simultaneously and is co-sponsored by the College of Pharmacy and the McGoogan Library of Medicine.
AccessPharmacy contains the electronic version of many authoritative pharmacy textbooks, as well as study guides, drug monographs, news, diagnostic tests, calculators, and case studies. Graphics found in AccessPharmacy can be used in classroom teaching. A mobile version of the site is also available to those who register for a MyAccessPharmacy account on the main site.
The following are just some of the titles included in AccessPharmacy:
- Applied Clinical Pharmacokinetics
- Applied Biopharmaceutics & Pharmacokinetics
- Casarett & Doull’s Essentials of Toxicology
- Drug Information: A Guide for Pharmacists
- Goldfrank’s Toxicologic Emergencies
- Lange Q&A Pharmacy
- NAPLEX Review
- Pharmaceutical Care Practice The Clinician’s Guide
- Pharmacoepidemiology: Principles & Practice
- Pharmacology: Examination & Board Review
- Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient-Focused Approach
- Pharmacotherapy in Primary Care
- Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach
- Pharmacy and Federal Drug Law Review
- Pharmacy Management: Essentials for All Practice Settings
- Pharmacy Student Survival Guide
- Quality and Safety in Pharmacy Practice
- Quick Review: Pharmacy