The library has just converted its subscription to Annual Reviews to a site license. This means that all 25 Biomedical/Life Sciences Annual Reviews Titles are now available both on and off campus. You can find the titles in the online journal finder, the catalog, and by linking to them through the ‘GetIt!@UNMC’ buttons.
If you need to do a Systematic Review and you’re searching MEDLINE, you’re only seeing part of the picture. Embase holds over 25 million indexed records from more than 7,600 active, authoritative journals, including all of Medline as well as 2,000 biomedical journals not currently covered by MEDLINE. It provides comprehensive coverage of all relevant biomedical literature. Interested in a hands-on learning experience? Trainer Jessica Herzog from Embase/Elsevier will demonstrate the ins and outs of searching the database to find drug information, medical device literature, conference proceedings, and literature that is unavailable from other resources.
Location: WH8011 (enter the McGoogan Library at 6th floor Wittson, and take internal elevator to 8th floor. Signs will be posted showing the way.)
Date: Tuesday, July 31
Time: 1:30-3:30 PM
Seating is limited. Register for the session at this link: http://unmc.edu/library/classreg.htm
We are having several problems with Science Direct/Elsevier titles as we begin the New Year. We hope to have these problems resoved soon. In the meantime, please contact the Reference Desk for assistance in getting the full text articles that you need.
1. SD titles are not available off campus.
2. SD article PDFs cannot be saved
3. The ‘related articles’ popup that comes up when clicking a PDF is confusing
Improve your skills this summer by taking a PubMed or RefWorks class through the McGoogan Library. Classes will be held in the library’s computer training room on the 8th floor of Wittson Hall. To sign up for these classes please register online. To request an individual session or for questions about these classes, contact Teresa Hartman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether you are a new PubMed user or want to improve your basic skills, this course will prepare you for effective searching for peer-reviewed journal articles. Topics include:
- Constructing effective citation searches
- Locating the articles through the McGoogan Library collection
- Setting up alerts to keep up with the research.
Available dates are:
- July 5 – 1 to 3 p.m.
- July 12 – 9:30 to 11a.m.
- July 19 – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- July 26 – 8 to 9:30 a.m.
This class is open to all UNMC and The Nebraska Medical Center personnel and students.
Those who attend will create their own free RefWorks accounts through the McGoogan Library’s RefWorks site license. Learn how to do all of the following and more by attending our hands-on RefWorks Basic Training Class.
- Create a searchable database from your MEDLINE, CINAHL, PsycINFO and Google Scholar search results.
- Use that database to insert citations and create bibliographies in your papers in just minutes.
- Reformat your paper for submission to a new journal in seconds!
Available dates are:
- July 14 – 9 to 10:30 a.m.
- July 21 – 1 to 2:30 p.m.
This class is open to UNMC faculty, staff, and students only.
The Library’s redesigned web site is ready for viewing in a “beta” version (on campus only)! The goal of the redesigned site is to bring more resources to the front and reduce the amount of searching and clicking. Take a look, and let us know what you think. Give feedback using the online form
The new design has several improvements:
- McGoogan Library News, ‘About Us’, Research Help, and Services are now available on the Home Page
- Research Help, the library’s custom research portals, are now available in a drop down by group format (COD, CON, COP, etc)
- A navbar has been applied across all .html pages to help users more easily naviage the site
Input from the campus community has been incorporated into the design and is still invited, so please let us know your opinions.
Thanks to the Office of The Vice Chancellor For Research, Journal Citation Reports 2007 (JCR), ISI’s online impact factors utility, is now available to authorized UNMC users. JCR is an add-on to the VCR’s Web of Science subscription. The link to JCR is available on the McGoogan Library of Medicine’s home page (http://www.unmc.edu/library) under quick links or by selecting ‘J’ under Online Resources. Please contact the reference desk at email@example.com or 402.559.6221 (1-866-800-5209 toll-free) if you have questions or problems using JCR.
Please view our policies and procedures for Educational Use of Library Resources by UNMC Volunteer Faculty.