Learn IT

Form tools in Word 2010

Question: It has been so long since I have made a form with boxes and checkmarks, etc, I don’t even know where to find it in Word 2010?

Answer: Oh yes, the ability to create forms also is one of my favorite features and made me a Word convert several years ago. But I also admit when I switched to Word 2007 and 2010, I wasn’t able to find those tools and panicked thinking that they took that feature away. Fortunately, they are still there, you just have to look for them on the Developer tab of the ribbon.

In Word 2007 and 2010 you have to add the Developer tab to the ribbon to see those tools. In Word 2007, you can go to the Office button > Word Options > Popular and place a check in front of “Show Developer tab on the ribbon” and click OK.  In Word 2010, you have to select File > Options > Customize the Ribbon, and in the right panel place a check in the Developer checkbox and click OK.

Then, from the Developer tab, click on the Legacy Tools icon in the Controls group (looks like a clipboard with hammer and wrench) and you’ll see Legacy Tools and ActiveX controls). I recommend using Legacy Tools, which are easier and quite flexible. For instructions and demos showing how to create Forms, click here. There are also several videos on YouTube.

ITS’s “Drop in” help sessions work great for getting one-on-one help in advanced Word features such as using forms and tracking changes . Go to www.unmc.edu/its/training.htm or the UNMC Campus Calendar from http://info.unmc.edu to find out when these are scheduled.