I have some very large personal distribution lists in Lotus Notes and would prefer not to have to re-create them. Is it possible?
There is a way you can copy names from a personal distribution list. It will require that you send a message to that group from Lotus Notes, and include your name in the address list or cc or bcc section.
- Open Lotus Notes and place the group name in an email TO section
- Enter your email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in one of the address sections (bcc preferably)
- Type your note and send it.
- The note will be sent to Outlook and when you receive it, you will see all of the names in the TO section shown in the unmc.edu format. (You may also see some undeliverables or out of office replies)
- In order to copy those names, you must Forward or reply to all (but don’t send a message). Click and drag over the names and press Ctrl C to copy.
- Click on your Contacts view and select New > Distribution list (2007) or New Contact Group (2010). Give the group a name and click Select Members (2007) or Add members (2010) > From address list.
- In the area at the bottom of the screen (Members field), paste (Ctrl V) to add those names to your list.
- If there is a problem with any of the names, a screen may pop up and you will need to delete that name from the list. Otherwise, click OK and the group will be created.
- NOTE: Outlook has a limit of around 100 names. You cannot click and drag over the names in a group to separate them into smaller groups. You just have to delete names. So you may want to click and drag the group to your desktop a few times and rename the group 1, 2, 3 (to place them in smaller groups) and then delete the extra names.
You can then next subgroups into another group, such as Big Group and then include the subgroups (SmallGroup1; SmallGroup2; SmallGroup3, etc) Unfortunately, nesting does not appear to work if there are over 125 names total. So you will need to send separate messages out to each subgroup.
NOTE: This procedure does not work for Public Groups.