Emergency Medicine

Senior Perspective: A few random musings for your entertainment

wang

In sitting down to write my first post to our blog, I find it hard to believe that I am already a third year resident.  Everyone tells you that residency goes by quickly and, turns out, it’s true.  Come June, I will be exiting the doors of UNMC on my way out as a new staff physician in Sioux Falls, South Dakota!  But… before that day comes along, I thought I would share a few things for those considering coming here for residency.

Since everyone seems to like top ten lists, let’s start with why Omaha, Nebraska, is a great place to live for 3 years. (or 11 in my case)

1. People are awesome (even the diehard Husker fans). Saying ‘hello’ to a stranger in the elevator or street is commonplace and not as weird as it seems other places.
  2. More restaurants and golf courses per capita than most places. That is not to say more=better but at least you have options.
  3. Top rated zoo is good fun for all. Friends, family, kids, strangers….take them all to the zoo, it’s a good time.
  4. Seasons. You get them all here. Changing of the leaves during the cool fall. Pure white snow during the winter. Crisp mornings of spring and summer thunderstorms. (Who wants sunny days of 70-80 degree days year round anyway?)
  5. Sports. Next to Indy, one of the true amateur sports capitols of the US. Granted no major professional teams but college and minor league teams aplenty. Personally, I am partial to Creighton Bluejays basketball. Doug McDermott… what a stud!  Crowds of 17,000+ for home games makes for a good ole time. Oh, yeah, there are those Huskers, too. I will admit I’m not fan but I must say, tailgating at Memorial Stadium is something one should definitely do while here. Olympic swim trials are also hosted in Omaha as well.
  6. Music. Tons of concerts roll through the metro area. From Taylor to Miley.  From Justin to Conor Oberst.  Omaha loves a great show.
  7. College World Series. I know I mentioned sports already but this deserves it’s own bullet. Pretty sweet new stadium built just for this event. Even if you don’t have a horse in the race, it is worth checking out. On that note, we have also been host to quite a few early rounds of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament.
  8. Center(ish) of the US. Well… I think some place in Kansas has that honor, but we are close!  I’m pretty sure they bring the president here in times of national disasters, in part, due to our location as well as us having a huge air force base.
  9. Beef. Home of Omaha Steaks. Oddly, never actually had an “Omaha Steak” steak while in Omaha, but I’ve found steaks do taste pretty darn good here. Please refer back to #2.
  10. Warren Buffet lives here. Not that exciting but you can drive by the house of one of the richest men in the country and may even see him around town. He has a huge convention every year for his company and invites all his other rich buddies to hang out (AKA Bill Gates), you may even run into one of them as well.

All in all, this has been a great place to both work and live.  I’ll be sad to be leaving in a few months but Omaha will always have a special place in my heart. (Cue sappy music now)

A few last words about the program here: If you have interviewed here, you know what we’re about:  working hard and having a good time, not necessarily in that order.  We receive excellent training amidst a mix of both newer and experienced staff from all over the country.  Our program director is as dedicated as they come, and our residents, on-par with the best.

Residency is hard– If you are just starting your journey, make sure you find a location where you will be happy both in and outside of work. A place where you have people to help you out. A place that doesn’t make it harder than it needs to be. Maybe you’ll find that that place is here, just as it was for me.

-Heeyoung Wang M.D.