Deadline: until filled
EDUCAUSE, a highly creative, entrepreneurial, national nonprofit association whose mission is to advance higher education through the use of information technology, invites applications for the position of Statistician. This is a full-time position located in Louisville, CO. Applicants with a proven track record of successful telecommuting may be considered for other locations. The position is a term position through December 2014, with the possibility of renewal. The Statistician reports to the EDUCAUSE Senior Statistician.
The Statistician will provide statistical support in the form of data cleaning, preparation, integration, management, analysis and modeling for EDUCAUSE research. EDUCAUSE research covers a range of topics to inform and guide the management of information technology in higher education. Research products include reports and related media and materials for the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research, reports and professional development content for the Core Data Service (higher education’s premier IT benchmarking service), and reports and summaries of the IT Issues member research panel.
The successful candidate will bring a passion for the EDUCAUSE mission to support information technology in higher education, the skills to manage and analyze data in applied settings, an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and results orientation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with EDUCAUSE staff to develop analysis plans based on studies’ research objectives and available data.
- Query database tables to create samples for research studies, focus groups, member research panels and other needs based on specific criteria.
- Conduct basic data management and analysis activities for research projects, including checking, querying, and merging data sets, labeling and formatting variables, conducting standard univariate and multivariate data analyses and adhering to all data management and documentation procedures, suggesting improvements when appropriate.
- Under the direction of the Senior Statistician, develop advanced models for ECAR research, IT benchmarking and other needs.
- Conduct ad-hoc analyses in response to researcher or member queries, and prepare results in a user-friendly format with a brief description and interpretation.
- Work with the Senior Statistician and others to design, plan, develop, and implement a repository of data sources including internal research and member data bases and other relevant data and metadata.
- Serve as backup for others on the data team as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, mathematics, or related field
- One to three years of experience as a data analyst preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in exploratory data analysis and standard statistical techniques such as univariate data analysis, categorical data analysis, linear regression models, and statistical tests associated with these techniques
- Proficiency in SAS programming including data steps and procedures; proficiency with SAS macros desirable
- Willingness to learn other statistical software packages (e.g., SPSS, R)
- Programming experience (SQL, Java, C++, Python, etc.) desirable
- Ability to format and report analyses for non-statistical audiences
- Innate curiosity for exploring data and translating quantitative results to actionable information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with a distributed team, via e-mail, phone and video conferences
- Commitment to achieving the highest quality results in a deadline-driven setting
- Excellent organizational skills and detail orientation
- Ability to manage commitments to multiple individuals
- Self-direction and ability to exercise independent judgment and work successfully without close supervision
- Ability to use initiative to identify better ways to work, solve problems, and suggest improvements
View more information and application instructions online.