With the New Year comes addition of new resources and cancellation of others. There are many factors that go into our subscription decisions, the first of which are requests from our users. We listen to feedback and depend on it to keep us informed about what you need, NOW. As rapidly as research and practice in the health sciences evolve, our resource offerings need to be flexible to keep the pace. At the same time, we take our responsibility as stewards of institutional holdings very seriously, and try to balance innovation with curation.
The following are changes coming in January:
MICROMEDEX OUT, LEXICOMP IN.
UNMC’s MICROMEDEX license was shared with The Nebraska Medical Center. When TNMC decided to move to Lexicomp, the library followed suit. We believe it is important to train students on the resource that they will likely use in practice. The NEOFAX resource from Truven Health Analytics will remain accessible to UNMC users, but the rest of the MICROMEDEX interface will be gone.
ACCESS SURGERY ADDED to MCGRAW HILL SUITE
Joining its cousins AccessPharmacy and AccessMedicine, the library (per user requests) has added AccessSurgery to its offerings. AccessSurgery offers textbooks, video, images, test prep, and more for the Surgery student. Each textbook in AccessSurgery is also listed in the library’s catalog and Ebook A-Z list
Dynamed had been licensed by the library for many years. Use was consistent but not extremely high. From November 2012-November 2013 there were 9100 sessions among UNMC users. This put the cost per session of Dynamed at $2.60. The library, after seeking input from stakeholders, decided that the $23000.00 subscription fee could be better used to fill other needs.
Journal addition decisions are made by user request, a large amount of interlibrary loan requests, or a high citation count from UNMC authors. New journals for 2014 are as follows:
- JoVE: Bioengineering, Clinical and Translational, and Infection and Immunology
- Clinical Medicine: Journal of the Royal College of Physicians
- Journal of Intraprofessional Care
- Journal of Neurotrauma
- The Medical Teacher
- Tobacco Control
Journal cancellation decisions this year were based on citation data. If a journal had a high cost per use and was cited less than 25 times in the last 12 months by UNMC researchers, it was cancelled. These journals will still be available via Interlibrary Loan.
- Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica
- American Journal of Hypertension
- Birth-Issues in Perinatal Care
- BJU International
- Cancer Biology and Therapy
- Childhood Obesity
- Clinical Transplantation
- Genes, Chromosomes & Cancer
- International Journal of Oncology
- Journal of Hospital Medicine
- Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness
- Medical Education
- Pediatric Obesity
- Research in Nursing & Health
SOCIAL SERVICES ABSTRACTS/SOCIOLOGICAL ABSTRACTS
The library has added these databases to fill a niche for searching the social sciences literature. These databases have been accessible to UNMC in the past, but the library has now officially entered into a subscription for them.
As always, the library would like to hear from you about any future additions or cancellations to the library’s holdings. We are always available at email@example.com or through chat, text, phone, or online forms at http://www.unmc.edu/library.
Happy New Year, and thank you to our funding partners! Many of our current holdings are funded by the following groups:
- INBRE – Nebraska Idea Network for Biomedical Research Excellence
- The Nebraska Medical Center
- UNMC COM Family Medicine
- UNMC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
- UNMC College of Pharmacy
- UNMC COM Radiation Oncology
- UNMC COM Surgery – Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- UNMC COM Department of Anesthesiology
- UNMC COM Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation
- UNMC COPH Center for Preparedness Education