Medicaid enrollment is expected to surge by nearly 12 percent next year in states expanding the program under the health law, but even states that will not expand eligibility project a 5 percent jump in the number of people enrolled in the state-federal health insurance program for the poor, according to a new report issued Monday.
Read the full news story from Kaiser Health News here.
Omaha Public Library will partner with AARP and HR Benefit Group to offer a series of programs throughout October to help navigate the policies put in place by the new health care law. Three unique programs are open to the public and free of charge. Anyone who will be affected by the new law is encouraged to attend. More information and additional resources are available at guides.omahalibrary.org/affordablecare.
Health Insurance with the Affordable Care Act
An AARP representative will examine the options open to individuals and families under the new health care law and provide information on the types of health care plans available, where to sign up, and how to find assistance. Registration required.
- Tuesday, Oct. 1, 6:30 p.m. at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402.444.4848
- Thursday, Oct. 3, 4:30 p.m. at Charles B. Washington Branch, 2868 Ames Ave., 402.444.4849
- Saturday, Oct. 5, 11 a.m. at Benson Branch, 6015 Binney St., 402.444.4846
- Monday, Oct. 7, 4:30 p.m. at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St., 402.444.4850
- Wednesday, Oct. 9, 6 p.m. at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., 402.444.6284
- Friday, Oct. 11, noon at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402.444.4800
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, 6 p.m. at W. Clarke Swanson Branch, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., 402.444.4852
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 10 a.m. at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402.444.5299
- Saturday, Oct. 19, 11 a.m. at Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave., 402.884.7473
- Thursday, Oct. 24, 6 p.m. at Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch, 2100 Reading Plz., 402.289.4367
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2 p.m. at A.V. Sorensen Branch, 4808 Cass St., 402.444.5274
- Wednesday, Oct. 30, 4:30 p.m. at Willa Cather Branch, 1905 S. 44th St., 402.444.4851
Individualized Help with the Health Insurance Marketplace
- HR Benefit Group will provide navigators to help attendees make informed health insurance decisions, understand the marketplace, and compare insurance plans.
- Mondays, Oct. 7, 21 and 28, 10 a.m. at W. Dale Clark Main Library
- Tuesdays, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, noon at Willa Cather Branch
- Tuesdays, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, 4 p.m. at Charles B. Washington Branch
- Wednesdays, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, noon at Florence Branch
- Thursdays, Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31, 3 p.m. at South Omaha Library
The Affordable Care Act: Small Businesses & the Self-Employed
- Small businesses and the self-employed will learn details needed to make informed decisions about the Affordable Care Act. Registration required.
- Tuesday, Oct. 8, 6 p.m. at Bess Johnson Elkhorn Branch
- Tuesday, Oct. 15, 6:30 p.m. at Millard Branch
Visit omahalibrary.org for information about additional programs offered at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.
There is very serious concern about the Affordable Care Act, especially among businesses. Many employers are trying to estimate the impact the law’s mandate that employers provide coverage to full time employees will have on their bottom line. Likely, the effect will vary depending on the specific situation of each business, in particular the type of workers and the typical profit margin of the business. One of the best examples of business impact may be agriculture, which typically has slim profit margins and a need for full time workers.
The following story covers this issue and you can access it here.