March 2nd, 2012

Today has been incredibly busy and really great!  We did field work for about 6 hours.  We had a rough start with the car getting stuck in the sand and not being able to find 3 children at their houses, but we ended with 4.5 interviews, so I’m super happy about that. As I’ve mentioned, many of the children cry when they are getting their measurements taken, as if it hurts them or perhaps it’s because they are scared of me, I’m not sure.  This morning a little girl would not stop crying and running away.  I couldn’t believe what they gave her to calm her down so she would sit still long enough to get her measurements taken-a packet of mixed pickles!  I, for one, hate pickles, but this was mixed pickles and she was eating it out of a packet similar to a ketchup packet. It was pretty funny, Bubu was telling me about it (it’s like a reddish color, which is even more weird), but he said kids love it. I can understand ice cream, but mixed pickles, that’s another story.  And the thing is, a number of these kids eat ice cream and chocolates often, as they have access to them.  She was so cute, when she finally calmed down, squirting that pickle paste and sharing it with her sister.

After being out in the field, we came back to the AIPH building and I did a bunch of data entry and work.  Later this afternoon, Bigayalaxmi, the only girl that works here, took me to the mall and the market!  It was a lot of fun.  The mall was packed with men as they were watching a game on the one small screen T.V.  I bought some fabric there.  We walked out into the market.  I was thinking that since this is one of their big markets, that it would be crazy packed and pretty dirty.  It wasn’t at all; it was actually very calm and pretty clean.  I bought some jewelry and had a chance to talk with Bijayalaxmi.  Upon returning to AIPH, we walked over to the tailor.

I’m preparing for my trip to Rourkela on Monday night.  We will be taking a 7 hour train ride during the night.  I will be there till the 13th.  I’m not sure what my accommodations will be, so I will compile a list of things to blog about if I do not have internet. I’m really liking Bhubaneswar and will be very sad to leave it.